Photo attachments

The main Page for the Hodaka Club Discussion Group
Dale

Re: Photo attachments

Post by Dale »

Since it has be identified as a web issue, I will cease any attempts to identify the source of the problem. I am not a web master and will not pretend to be one. It will have to be looked at by others that have the ability to resolve the issue.
Dale
Bullfrog
Location: Oregon, 12 miles from the center of the Hodaka Universe(Athena)

Post by Bullfrog »

. . . and requests for assistance on the topic are going out by private communications. I'd ask for your patience as our volunteers find (or make) time to address the issue.

Ed
Keep the rubber side down!
Makotosun

Post by Makotosun »

Testing photo attachment.
IMG_2793.JPG
"If you can't fix it with a hammer, then it's an electrical problem"
"Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it."
"You can tell a professional by the lack of wrinkles in his duct tape . . ."
Makotosun

Post by Makotosun »

OK - I'll walk through the steps as they appear on my Windows 7/Chrome Browser setup:

First, at the bottom of the thread you will see the quick reply window. One of the choices here is to go to the full editor which you need to be able to add photos.
Capture1.JPG
Clicking that gets you this editor page which is where the attachments tab is located:
Capture2.JPG
Clicking attachments gets you here where the add files (photos) button resides:
Capture1.JPG
Clicking that gets you a pop up window where you choose your photo from your computer, and then wait for it to upload. It will show its filename when it is loaded and ready.

You will also see the place inline button.
Capture4.JPG
Go back to the main edit window, and place your cursor where in your post you want the photo to be embedded, and then go down and click on the place inline button which will give you a screen like this:
Capture5.JPG
If you then click on preview you will see your photo embedded as it will look.
Capture6.JPG
Clicking submit will post your reply to the forum.

I have not tried on my phone, but the process should look the same. We are still in the process of forum board migration, and this software is more challenging than what I normally administer, so your patience is appreciated.

Makotosun/Gary Bashor
Attachments
Capture3.JPG
Makotosun

Post by Makotosun »

I understand that some folks seem to be having problems uploading photos to the board. I can't as of now find anything not working correctly. The above post with 6 embedded photos would indicate everything is working as expected. Please try walking through your own test, and see if you are missing something along the way. Post up your results either way as that will help us trouble shoot the issue (if there is one!)
matt glascock

Post by matt glascock »

Thank you so much for providing the excellent step-by-step run down on the process of posting pictures. As I'm sure you know, photographs are an invaluable component of this forum; both educationally and as entertainment.
Makotosun

Post by Makotosun »

matt glascock wrote:Thank you so much for providing the excellent step-by-step run down on the process of posting pictures. As I'm sure you know, photographs are an invaluable component of this forum; both educationally and as entertainment.
I absolutely do understand that. Our hope is to do some real development of the forum and get more activity. As the lead club webmaster, getting all of our various web pieces working more seamlessly is the goal. I operate as a service to the hodaka family the HodakaClassified.com website which has a small forum which is one option available. It can be viewed at (http://hodakaclassified.com/index.php/forum/index) if you are interested in providing feedback. Different forum software.

I would like to see on here some good "build" threads of people's creations as that tends to provide a lot of that entertainment of which you speak!

Gary
Makotosun

Post by Makotosun »

A test pic from my iphone over cellular for grins:
IMG_3157.JPG
matt glascock

Post by matt glascock »

Agreed! The build threads on this forum have demonstrated time and again the ingenuity and craftsmanship of many of our members and always feature the problem solving process in detail and input from many real experts - including PABATCO staff. Here, a picture truly in worth a thousand words. Many thanks for all you do for us! I'll check out the site you linked.

Best,

Matt
Bill2001

Post by Bill2001 »

Thanks Gary. Old adage, "stuff happens"
My phone,Samsung Galaxy, Android, for some reason, skipped the "file upload status bar" snd "upload complete, place inline" panes. It went from the popup window where I selected my local file directly back to the options/attachments page of the Advanced Reply page.
It did this fot several hours and then went back to working properly. Get an idea of the time from my messages posted.
It's as if a couple lines.of the Script were not followed for a few hours.

Growing pains, and panes...
Keepin' the Shiny Side up
on a '72 Wombat 94

--Bill
rlkarren

Post by rlkarren »

I've been watching this thread with interest looking for clues that might lead to identifying the problem. As a Systems Administrator by trade, this is one of the more important tasks: listening.

Software updates regularly, as you have probably experienced, and things break when they are not updated regularly because one technology depends on the updates of other technology. I think that is the case in this instance. But I do find it curious that Ed is having the issues that he is.

I suspect, based on the information gleaned from here, that recent updates or changes in settings to your individual browsers may have created some issues. This forum is running a couple versions behind. If you are an Internet Explorer user, shame on you, (IMHO ;-) ). If you are having trouble uploading photos in one browser, please try a different one and report back, it would help identify the problem. Available browsers are Firefox, Chrome, Safari (macOS), Opera to name a few.

Thanks,

Roger
Bullfrog

Post by Bullfrog »

OK. Here is an attempt to directly post a photo using Chrome.
newtoys2.jpg
Shazaam! Green status bar grew . . . and was replaced by a green check mark. The "Place Inline" option appeared. Clicked it - and it all looks like it will work.

Some info about the photo - my racing scooter rolled up on the toy hauler deck of my "new" (to me) Jayco Baja 10Y pop-up camper. I haven't started the work to install wheel chocks or tie down points, but it looks like two bikes on the deck should be easy - and possibly three with some sweat. Getting prepped for full retirement!
Ed
Hydraulic Jack

Post by Hydraulic Jack »

I use Chrome and have had problems on some days, and not on others. I have had problems while at home, and while on the road, and have also had it work at home and on the road. I do not allow automatic software updates on any of my computers, and have not done any updates recently, but have had days when uploading would not work. There appears to be no consistency here, and an understanding of the various steps used to direct upload a photo have not been the problem. The problem has been an inconsistent response from the website when attempting to upload photos. Certainly it isn't easy to diagnose a problem when your computer doesn't exhibit a problem, but since I don't know what language or sub-routine or script is used to drive photo uploads, I wouldn't know where to look. I have uploaded photos here, there, and lots of places on the web over the years, but have had issues on this forum frequently in the past two months or so, while having none anywhere else. My main computer at home is a fourteen year old IMac and works just fine and hasn't been updated in years (updates are no longer supported on my system anyway) but still posts photos, or doesn't, day by day, and the mobile devices are all current issue Apple mini stuff, so the operating features are fairly current, yet they too have had problems.

That's why I was thinking it might be a bandwidth issue because bandwidth comes and goes minute by minute.
Hydraulic Jack
taber hodaka

Post by taber hodaka »

I use Firefox without problems. --------------Clarence
viclioce

Post by viclioce »

I also use Firefox on my laptop. Seems to be the most stable, least hacked web browser out there these days. :mrgreen: Victor

1978 175SL
1976 03 Wombat
1975 99 Road Toad (2)
1973 96 Dirt Squirt (2)
1973 “Wombat Combat”
1973 Combat Wombat
1972 94 Wombat (2)
1972 Super Squirt
1971 92B+ Ace
1970 92B Ace 100B (2)
1968 92 Ace 100
1966 Ace 90
; D Victor
Bullfrog

Post by Bullfrog »

It seems like there may be a couple of problems on this direct photo posting issue. I have experienced 100% failure on my Windows 7 computer with Microsoft Internet Explorer 11.0.9600.18762, Update Version - 11.0.45(KB4034733). And I have experienced 100% success using the Chrome browser (admittedly, the sample size is small -- i.e. successful ONE time :? ) While Hydraulic Jack reports intermittent issues. Seems like different problems.
Ed
viclioce

Post by viclioce »

I can say there is 100% no issues with using Safari & the Apple iOS. Usually it's the other way around. Usually it's Safari that has the issues while I.E. in its current versions works better than most. Sounds like if you haven't updated your I.E. browser you may need to do so. If it worked before your last browser update, then try rolling it back. If your using Windows I can tell you how a roll back is done procedurally. :mrgreen: Victor

1978 175SL
1976 03 Wombat
1975 99 Road Toad (2)
1973 96 Dirt Squirt (2)
1973 “Wombat Combat”
1973 Combat Wombat
1972 94 Wombat (2)
1972 Super Squirt
1971 92B+ Ace
1970 92B Ace 100B (2)
1968 92 Ace 100
1966 Ace 90
; D Victor
Hydraulic Jack

Post by Hydraulic Jack »

I never use Safari or Explorer, or any default browser. IMac uses Firefox, minis use chrome. Problems occur randomly on both, but only recently.
Hydraulic Jack
matt glascock

Post by matt glascock »

Captain, how do you annotate the photos you post. Is that something you do through your photo editing software during processing or otherwise. Its very helpful and illuminating...er...illustrative.
Hydraulic Jack

Post by Hydraulic Jack »

Annotations are a part of the full editor and preview function in the forum software.
Hydraulic Jack
matt glascock

Post by matt glascock »

Cool. Thanks Hydraulic Jack! I'll check that out.
Bullfrog

Post by Bullfrog »

Matt,

If "annotations" is meant to refer to the text and arrows ON the photos, those are done in a photo editing application (Photoshop in this case)
Edited photo from earlier in the thread
Edited photo from earlier in the thread
The above photo was "captured" from an earlier post in this thread, then loaded into Photoshop. It was then cropped and the text and arrow were added as layers. An additional layer of partially transparent black was added to make the text more readable. Are those the "annotations" you were wondering about?

The only "annotation" which can be added while "in" the chat group is a "file comment" or smilies or the message text . . . so far as I know.
Ed
matt glascock

Post by matt glascock »

Yep. That is a good example of the annotations I was referring to. I use Lightroom for digital image processing. I will have to see if it has a similar feature. Thanks Captain Eddie!
Zeek

Post by Zeek »

Just to confuse everyone :D
There is now an add-on for Firefox and Chrome:

Firefox add-on
Below for Chrome.....apparently you can't have more than one URL link in a post here?? :roll:
Chrome: chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/photob...epeipngiikdkpmcpkaon
Install the add-on and hey presto, you can once again see photophucket pictures on a forum
"Experience is something you never get until just after you need it" :D
Little Squirt owner
viclioce

Post by viclioce »

I can do similar right on my iPhone! I added the text and the yellow arrow from my photo editor! :mrgreen: Victor
Attachments
12680477-E9B3-42EB-9D20-4721D7D8B14A.jpeg

1978 175SL
1976 03 Wombat
1975 99 Road Toad (2)
1973 96 Dirt Squirt (2)
1973 “Wombat Combat”
1973 Combat Wombat
1972 94 Wombat (2)
1972 Super Squirt
1971 92B+ Ace
1970 92B Ace 100B (2)