Want to Race my 94 at Bushey Ranch... Gonna need some help

The main Page for the Hodaka Club Discussion Group
TheBevman

Want to Race my 94 at Bushey Ranch... Gonna need some help

Post by TheBevman »

Well that's the plan but I have a long way to go and a rather short time to get there... Sept 15th is the deadline to enter and OCT 1 is the date.

My Goal:
This would be my first race and I'm just looking to have some fun and for the bike and rider to survive... and make it back to work on Monday. :lol:

The bike:
A Wombat (94) and it's pretty much bone stock and in great shape, the trees, bars and a kill switch are about the only departure. Built 10/1972 and its a 150 mi from a full engine rebuild and a new top-end. As stated else where on the forum its my go to for my 4 mi commute to work so its got got all the street gear it came with... so thats probably gonna have to come off, or does it? I'm assuming speedo and lights, but theres a fair bit of wiring in that headlight bucket too. Is there an easy way or do I just need to bite the bullet and strip it down?

Class:
I'm unsure as to whether it would be better to do Vintage MX or Cross Country and what class it would be eligible for. I looked at the AHRMA '17 rule book and I think that I could run Classic 125 as it states that all Hodaka 100 & 125's are eligible (minus SR & SC) but it does say "manufactured thru 12/1971 and any like machine. Sportsman 125 might be another option but a look at other eligible bikes makes me think I'll be a bit out classed, i.e. up to 1975, CR, YZ, KX, TM & MX 125's. Aren't they all reed'd!? :shock:

Me:
37 yrs old, 220 lbs, almost 20 yrs on bikes and I don't ride as much dirt as I'd like to.

So there it is. Any Veteran's out there willing to help this greenhorn?

Thanks,
Bev

'72 Wombat (94)
'68 ACE 100 (Project with the kids)
'65 ACE 90? (Frame)
'66 Triumph Bonneville
'99 Triumph Adventurer
'66 Ace 90/100- Dirt only
TheBevman

Re: Want to Race my 94 at Bushey Ranch... Gonna need some help

Post by TheBevman »

My Wombat, the faithful steed.
Attachments
IMG_5872.JPG
IMG_5871.JPG
'72 Wombat (94)
'65 ACE 90? (Frame)
'66 Triumph Bonneville
'99 Triumph Adventurer
Bullfrog
Location: Oregon, 12 miles from the center of the Hodaka Universe(Athena)

Post by Bullfrog »

The number ONE recommendation I have for you . . . well, you've already got it covered! Sounds like you are embarked on an adventure with a grin on your face and a focus on having fun! PERFECT! Everything else is detail.

Just to offer a bit of background about my approach to racing, when I worked at PABATCO and got involved with cross country and ISDT Qualifier events, I used to take my street legal/licensed competition bikes to MX events to practice. None of the racers quaked in their boots when I arrived . . . but none of them had any more fun than I did either!

My enduro bike had a Preston Petty headlight/number plate and a little bitty enduro tail/brake light (semi-legal at the time 8-) ). I'm thinking removing your stock headlight and tail light would be a good plan, both for safety and weight reduction. Officials will require taping the glass sealed beam to contain glass in case of breakage, if you leave it on. I sure wouldn't go to the work of removing the wiring for the lights - just tape off the connectors and lash down the ends so they won't flop. Then it will be easy to put everything back when the race is over. I still have the luggage rack on the bike I currently ride in AHRMA events - but no Hodaka tool canister. (HINT: You have my express permission to "steal" my trademark technique - tuck a plastic water bottle between the bars of the luggage rack, so you'll have a nice cool drink on the starting line. And if you are lucky and tuck the water bottle in well - you'll have something to drink IMMEDIATELY after crossing the finish line too!)

Classic Class is the correct class for your bike - don't worry about that.

Sorry I won't be there to offer support.
Ed (Classic Class, +60, 220lbs, Combat Wombat engine, trail lighting system and luggage rack)
PS: See the very first paragraph. Tires, gearing, etc. -- they're just details.
PPS: Did I mention to have fun?(!)
PPPS: Keep the rubber side down!
Keep the rubber side down!
olddogs

Post by olddogs »

The Captains approach is the one that works the best. For your first couple of races, you aren't gonna beat anyone by crashing a bike that was not purpose built for racing. You are challenging yourself to get better and more confident with every moto. You set goals like improving your own times and even finishing without getting lapped (it happens often). After my first couple of races my face hurt from all the grinning I had going on. Once you get hooked on the fun, you can start making bike improvements and make new friends at the track, or try getting some of your friends into vintage racing. When you have a group to bench race with, it keeps the smiles going for weeks after the race.
thrownchain

Post by thrownchain »

Go to have fun, decide the class you want to race in, and then decide how far and fast you want to go. Part time/ full time, cross country, MX, enduros. But the basis is to have fun.
Larry S

Post by Larry S »

My advice:

Many first time racers get caught up in the excitement and ride over their heads and crash. Don't do that.
1-Remove the headlight assembly and taillight and secure the wires as Captain Ed has advised. If you get caught up in the excitement and crash, you will probably mess up one or both.
2-Remove your kick stand. You won't be allowed to race with it in place.
3-Get some old fuel line, cut it into one inch pieces, and use it to cover your rear axle adjuster ends and brake rod end.
4-With three paper plates, a sharpie, and some duct tape you can make some mighty fine number plates.
5-Have fun and make new friends.

Larry S
TheBevman

Post by TheBevman »

Thanks Gents! I guess I won't be in for as much prep work as I thought.
Ed, I do like the sound of your water bottle trick, especially with the heat we've been having in NorCal. Thanks for the permission to use it, I'd hate to think what other competitors would do to me if they saw me stealing your trademarked moves. :lol:

Alright, just to consolidate the list:
Pull lights and secure wiring
Remove tool box.
Pull stand (cover mt with some hose- I believe the rule book specifies that)
Cover axle adjusters and brake rod end with hose too

Can or should I remove the battery, and the ignition switch? I know that the bike will run with the batt and the key is something I'd prefer not to have to track down on the course later after all the fun's been had. I know that bike will run w/o either (by unplugging the 4 prong connector) and as Ed stated, it's saves weight.

Number plates- can I pie plate or do I need to buy and mount some actual # plates? The book, and I'm not to sure how strict they'll be, says that all bikes have to have 3 # plates mounted.

As far as rider prep- we'll, that's not going so well, although I did eat a salmon burger last night :lol:
Truethfully, I'm about average, maybe a bit below, and as stated just looking for fun. I'm not prone to riding over my head... but we'll see what the heat of competition does.

One last question, how long is a Cross Country course?

Thanks again for the great advice.
Bev
'72 Wombat (94)
'65 ACE 90? (Frame)
'66 Triumph Bonneville
'99 Triumph Adventurer
racerclam

Post by racerclam »

The only bikes in the one you mentioned that would have been factory reeded would be Yamaha

Rich
TheBevman

Post by TheBevman »

Well folks Bushey Ranch is next weekend, I'm signed up to race in Classic 125 and today is prep day.

My question should I remove the batt and unplug the square connector? I don't want to race with the key in the IG. Will it hurt anything if I do either?

Thanks,

Bev
'72 Wombat (94)
'65 ACE 90? (Frame)
'66 Triumph Bonneville
'99 Triumph Adventurer
Bullfrog

Post by Bullfrog »

That sounds perfect. Removing the battery lightens up the machine and unplugging the square connector simply disconnects ALL the lighting functions and the main switch - so you can remove the key and still start the bike. Um, you do have a kill switch right? (In my book, a kill switch is required equipment on the track . . . and with an in-operative main switch, you need some way to shut down the engine.)

Ed
TheBevman

Post by TheBevman »

Sorry for the belated report. I did make it out to the AHRMA Bushy Ranch VMX in Canby, CA on Oct 1st. Before I get to far into it I have to say that I don’t think they could have found a better place for the event. Sure it’s a bit of a trek but it was more than worth it and the fam and I got to see some beautiful country we’d yet to see since moving to NorCal.
DSC_0006.JPG
Ed, thanks for confirming I could pull the batt and electrical plug, it made much easier knowing I didn’t have to worry about it (the batt or key) jumping ship on me and lightening the bike no doubt helped.

I signed up online to race the Classic 125 Novice and was glad I did, not only did it save me a few bucks but it was one less thing to do on a very cold morning. After unloading all the assorted implements of destruction, tools and the bike, it and I were off to tech inspection. Tech was a breeze, thanks to the sage wisdom provided by this forum, but I got a few chuckles when I told them that the Wombat was my daily driver and I rode it to work that Friday ( two days before). Also, there was more than one person that told me that things might get interesting with trials tires, albeit they were aired down.

I was able to get in on practices 1 and 4, normally 4 is restricted but they took pity on after I explained that I got a bit confused on how practices were organized. My class was racing in moto #6 so after practice I had some time to look the bike over, surprisingly all it needed was the exh nut tightened.

Just to reiterate that I had only two goals: finish the race and don’t break the bike or rider.

When my time came I was surprised that there were only about 10 riders on the starting line, but there was also 2 other Hodaka, less traffic didn’t seem like too bad of thing ;) . So, with tension building, throttles opening to a cacophony of noise and a screen of smoke, the starter with his number plate getting ready to send us off. He pointed to each of us, flipped the number plate from 2 to ... the band released and... everyone left me at the line :shock: . It all happened that fast. So, alone and feeling like an idiot I set of for my first race and that’s about the time I got this crazy idea in my head that I wasn’t going to finish last. About half way through the first lap I turned around saw Alec, a younger guy I’d met on the starting line riding his grandfather’s Road Toad, hot on my tail. Apparently I didn’t see that he got off the line about the same time that I had and after seeing Alec, I felt like I had to step it up to keep him from overtaking me. I held him off for about a lap but he passed me about 1/2 way through the 2nd lap and despite my best efforts he kept gaining distance on me. Well until the final lap when sadly fueling issues brought him to a halt. In a sense I didn’t finish last but I road my tail off, so just finishing was satisfying.
69E09FF6-359E-4E38-BF12-A1DAAC0DF29A.jpeg
After the race I caught up with Alec and his (I believe grandfather) Vint, on a DS with a SR engine, (together we made out the Hodaka contingent at this meeting)to say hi, check out his bike. Oddly enough, Alec’s bike was running again too. It was a short chat because they had another race coming up quick. So, back to the pit to check the bike over.

Again, the exhaust nut needed attention and the rear tubes valve stem decided it wanted to view the world from a wonky angle too. Turns out the rear rim lock wasn’t entirely snug and the tire, along with tube, spun on the rim. I’ve had it happen before but it looked like it would be ok. All done I went off to walk around, visit the loo and check out some bikes, too.

On finishing one of the aforementioned ;) I had the pleasure to meet Joe, he intercepted me on the way back to the truck, on a very fine Husqvarna. He caught me off guard when he called me by name, but it turns out Joe’s a member of the forum (unfortunately, I didn’t get his screen name but I think he might chime in after reading this), had saw this post and just wanted to wish me luck, tell me he was glad to see that I made it out and see how things were going. Talk about cool! Joe and everyone I spoke too were great, warm, welcoming.

On getting back to the pit a nice fellow that befriended me the night before at the hotel in Alturas, named Michael, saw me packing up and wanted to know what I was doing. After a rather short conversation I was made aware I had another race to run. Well, hell! I didn’t know that but I was damn glad to hear it... I don’t think the kids were as happy about it. Lucky he stopped me before the bike was in the truck and everyone knew I was an idiot looking to quit!

So after unpacking and making it look as though I was just tidying things up :D ... I turned to the Wombat and decided to stiffen up the preload on the rear shocks, grab a bite to eat and before I knew it it was time for me to line up again. I kept telling myself that I just need to race my own race... but when the band released I forgot all about that idea and went full tilt. I did get a better start and Alec was behind me again. Now the grass was dry and I was sliding everywhere and seemed to find traction just in the nick of time to make the turn. It didn’t take long before Alec (on the RT) passed me as I was sliding like Clark Grizzwald into the first right hairpin and so it went all through the first lap. I don’t know if I was getting tired but the Wombat didn’t bomb along like it did in the first race, I actually had to throw the poor little thing around and I was still loosing distance. On the second lap I went over my head, literally! I high-sided on tight left, I lost traction while leaning hard left and all the sudden the rear hooked up and in an instant I was ass over elbows, sky-ground-sky-ground. I popped back up pretty quick, adrenaline will do that to you, looked behind me (all was clear), luckily, I got to the still running Wombat before the corner worker at which point it decided to die and then I had to think... The bike looked good after I got it up, she’d gained a bit more dirt in some odd places but all seemed good, gas lines attached, had brake and clutch, throttle snapped back... so found neutral quick, luckily, she lit up on the first kick and we were off again. That’s about the time the pain hit. My right thumb was killing me and the right side of my knee was throbbing like a pimple faced teenager’s heart at a high school dance. It was at that point my strategy changed back to square one, just finish the race. The last two laps were a mix of pain and pleasure in equal measure... with a few pucker moments thrown in when that rear tire decided to surprise me and do its job. You may think that’s all and I just limped in to last place... and so did I until on the end of the third lap when I saw Alec, yet again, stopped with that fueling issue. So, I rode on to finish and not last... by technicality yet again, but I’ll take it. When it’s your first race meeting you can’t get too picky.

As it turns out my race day was now officially done and I asked several nice people just to make sure. At which time Alec was nice enough to offer to show me the Cross Country Course that they’d raced on the day before. If I recall correctly it was about 6 miles and was a great course, quite tight and technical in some spots. I could just imagine how crazy it could be in a race and how much of a beating a little bike might take hauling a big guy like me through it. After a lap of that course I was beat and went back to the truck to pack up.

Soon after that I strolled up to the registration tent to buy a T-shirt, I did it after all and needed the proof. Unfortunately, they were out of my size but as a consolation I found out after a short discussion that I trophied. After finishing both races and the “small” fact that I was the ONLY person racing my class, so by default and to my surprise I took first place. Vint took first in the 100cc Intermediate class and Alec took third. All and all not a bad day out.

Oh and I found out why the Wombat didn’t feel the same in the second race. While trying to stiffen up the preload on the stock shocks I only succeeded in turning them the wrong way and softening them. Oh well, you live and you learn.
Attachments
A7CA4CD6-6FD2-4B67-940C-A737D655CE7C.jpeg
7C0F2760-A1A3-4190-9391-C10E11F60BCD.jpeg
'72 Wombat (94)
'65 ACE 90? (Frame)
'66 Triumph Bonneville
'99 Triumph Adventurer
TheBevman

Post by TheBevman »

here's a few more pics from the event, in no particular order.
RT in action
RT in action
A clean pass and there wasn't a thing I could do about it
A clean pass and there wasn't a thing I could do about it
Me and the Wombat
Me and the Wombat
The corner where I hi-sided, before I decided to ride over my head
The corner where I hi-sided, before I decided to ride over my head
DSC_0054.JPG
sorry about the sideways photos, I'm not having a good computer day.
'72 Wombat (94)
'65 ACE 90? (Frame)
'66 Triumph Bonneville
'99 Triumph Adventurer
matt glascock

Post by matt glascock »

Goals met: three for three. Perfect! Congratulations on completing your first race.
viclioce

Post by viclioce »

That was an amazing story! You should have thought to say, “ hey guys I finished the race, and you can read all about it in the Resonator!” Bob would have loved printing that story! You did a great job writing it!!!

1978 175SL
1976 03 Wombat
1975 99 Road Toad (2)
1973 96 Dirt Squirt (2)
1973 “Wombat Combat”
1973 Combat Wombat
1972 94 Wombat (2)
1972 Super Squirt
1971 92B+ Ace
1970 92B Ace 100B (2)
1968 92 Ace 100
1966 Ace 90
; D Victor
Bullfrog

Post by Bullfrog »

I giggled all the way through the story! Experience will help assure that the "mental gear changes" while in the heat of battle are changes to fully appropriate gears (as opposed to those which result in the rubber side NOT being down). Since YOU and the bike came home with NO new leaks and it is apparent that you are still smiling about the whole deal . . . we've got to rate this outing as a major success. Way to go!
Ed
olddogs

Post by olddogs »

Sounds like you had a good time. Since most of your troubles involved traction, picking up a set of spare wheels and mounting some decent knobbies would double your fun. You can swap to race wheels before you head for the track and put your universals back on when you get home. Would not be a huge investment and spare wheels are plentiful.
givergas

Post by givergas »

my brother inlaw raced vintage bikes he would call all jacked up saying he finished 2nd . id ask him how many riders and he say 3 but one got disqualified , so there is a fun factor for sure
Bullfrog

Post by Bullfrog »

. . . um, I have another nickname which was taken from Star Trek . . . just call me " seven of nine" 8-)

Ed
matt glascock

Post by matt glascock »

That would be better than my usual race outcome - 9th out of 7. :-)