The 2 the Max Project

The main Page for the Hodaka Club Discussion Group
viclioce

Re: The 2 the Max Project

Post by viclioce »

I’m really enjoying this thread Maxie! It’s keeping me well entertained & informed! Keep up the good work! :ugeek: Victor

1978 175SL
1976 03 Wombat
1975 99 Road Toad (2)
1973 96 Dirt Squirt (2)
1973 “Wombat Combat”
1973 Combat Wombat
1972 94 Wombat (2)
1972 Super Squirt
1971 92B+ Ace
1970 92B Ace 100B (2)
1968 92 Ace 100
1966 Ace 90
; D Victor
hodakamax

Post by hodakamax »

Hey thanks Victor! I too need to address that workbench. How does that happen? I really did straighten it up last week. Carry on!

Maxie
viclioce

Post by viclioce »

Mine is a mess from doing plumbing repair work in the garage. Everything kind of ended up on it that didn’t have another place to go. But soon! And now I’m going to have light!!! :ugeek: Victor

1978 175SL
1976 03 Wombat
1975 99 Road Toad (2)
1973 96 Dirt Squirt (2)
1973 “Wombat Combat”
1973 Combat Wombat
1972 94 Wombat (2)
1972 Super Squirt
1971 92B+ Ace
1970 92B Ace 100B (2)
1968 92 Ace 100
1966 Ace 90
; D Victor
hodakamax

Post by hodakamax »

I think I can safely move past the rear brake enduro at least as far as any more frame modifications in that area. The shaft can used as is or later converted to the larger shaft stainless steel version at my leisure and the rear set shifter works well. I'm trying to get all of this mechanical stuff figured out so I can get back to working on the frame. Some of the issues are fork stops, cracks and fixing DPO sillyness which includes several bad ideas at least for my use. Strangely most of the failure points are where the DPO tried to re-enforce things and that's where they broke. I removed the back fender brace with my bare hands.

Another major project is getting the wheels acceptably polished and tires mounted. The wheels are fair but need a major polishing of the hubs and spokes hopefully without taking any wheels apart. Always time consuming but Winter is coming. I'm off to Ace Hardware to replace Dremel tool brushes from the last wheel marathon. This will keep me out of trouble for a while anyway.

More planning than action on this post but ya gotta have a plan. 8-)

The report of the day,

Maxie
Attachments
Spruce up wheels for new tires
Spruce up wheels for new tires
Straighten this mess up/build fork stops
Straighten this mess up/build fork stops
Remove plate that broke where re-enforced
Remove plate that broke where re-enforced
Re-enforced then broke motor mount
Re-enforced then broke motor mount
Much to do!
Much to do!
Bill2001

Post by Bill2001 »

Good progress on the rear binder. You've got many of the initial design questions resolved, so backburner them, let them simmer, and see how they taste in a couple of weeks.
Keepin' the Shiny Side up
on a '72 Wombat 94

--Bill
hodakamax

Post by hodakamax »

Yikes, More minor problems. All the rear linkages are filling up all the available spaces for brake brace, levers and rods, heim joints and associated fasteners along with rear brake plate lever and brace. One of the last things to fit is the exhaust pipe and it has been off and on several times. It seems to have grown somehow. There's been several changes in layout to make things fit as you go and clearance for the exhaust is diminishing to a close call. I finally had to fabricate an aluminum 1/4" spacer to move the foot peg out which seems to have solved the problem. Now I think I can figure out the pipe mount to frame. Whew, close call so to speak. :shock:

Maxie
Attachments
Many things trying to occupy the same space!
Many things trying to occupy the same space!
Bill2001

Post by Bill2001 »

First thought off the top o'th head is to shorten the levers on the brake pedal and the outer intermediate lever. That might give a little extra wiggle room. Are the lever ratios sacred? Have they beem thrashed to death or are they just the first guess? I'd be inclined to keep the "stock" Hodaka ratio since it seems to work well.

Would it disrupt the hydrodynamics of the exhaust flow to put a small ding in the expansion pipe cone under the intermediate lever for clearance?

Looks good.
on a '72 Wombat 94

--Bill
Hydraulic Jack

Post by Hydraulic Jack »

First observation: Shortening the levers will reduce brake authority requiring heavier pressures to activate brakes. If assembly is light to start with, increasing the required force to activate the brakes isn't a good idea.

Second observation: While everything inside an expansion chamber has an effect of how it works, small dings rarely change anything you can feel, and some race guys used to deliberately ding their chambers to "tune" them to preference. There is as far as I know no science to back up the notion that you can tune a pipe with a hammer, but there is lots of real world experience with rock dings that don't stop a race.

So I would seriously consider either standing off the exhaust pipe to create space, or placing appropriate dings in the pipe as needed to create clearance, or both, rather than spacing off the brake assembly which is already soft enough without more leverage in the wrong place. Frankly, lowering the exhaust pipe should be easy to do.
Hydraulic Jack
hodakamax

Post by hodakamax »

Hey Bill and Jack, thanks for your input. When you tighten the screw on exhaust nut to the cylinder you have to twist the pipe around that axis. Rotating the pipe toward you is up and out at the back. Confusing huh? Anyway, I've got the exhaust nut tight on the cylinder and rotated it to clear everything. A change of a few fasteners with shorter heads and shortening the castle nut/bolt on the rear brake plate arm along with spacing the foot pegs out 1/4" and all is clearing properly. I've pinned everything down with clamps in preparation for the pipe mount to frame bracket. The bracket also is adjustable with washers to fine tune the clearances. All appears to be well. :)

Maxie
Attachments
Adjusting the close fitting pipe for bracket installation.
Adjusting the close fitting pipe for bracket installation.
Bill2001

Post by Bill2001 »

Good, things aligned well enough through tinkering. I have found tgat the best way to mount the early collar-type of cylinder attachment is to slightly snug the attachment collar and successively adjust the mid- and end-point frame mounts. The idea is to mount it as stress-free as possible. And of course you know it is a good idea to drill the exhaust collar for safety wire and wire it to a cylinder fin to keep it snug.

Have you evaluated the maximum-lean muff-to-ground clearance yet? That will be hard to check until you get tires and suspension underneath.

It'd be a shame if this turned out to lean like a Harley Bagger... ;)
on a '72 Wombat 94

--Bill
hodakamax

Post by hodakamax »

Hey Bill. Good question. I'd already done the lean science on the pegs when figuring out peg height. The bike should contact the pegs at at about 30 degrees, about the time the handlebars do. Way farther than the tires and Max could lean. :shock: The pipe would still clear. The pipe is an aftermarket flat track pipe of the times and really does fit in tight all the way back.

Hmm, this is really hard to measure without tires and hanging on straps with a loose pipe. :? Tires should be on soon and pipe mounted securely where I can just tip it over. Stay tuned for the easy way.

Maxie
Attachments
Foot pegs and bars drag before pipe.
Foot pegs and bars drag before pipe.
Bill2001

Post by Bill2001 »

The pipe does tuck in real nice, but the high point where the two cones meet caught my eye. Get wheels and tires on it'll be easy to check.
on a '72 Wombat 94

--Bill
hodakamax

Post by hodakamax »

Grrrr, this pipe bracket is eating my lunch. I've been banging on this curved bracket for over an hour. The position is critical for the pipe to clear all the linkage and such. One more mount and mark and I'm off to the welder to tack this thing in place. Tack, check and weld. It's also time to weld the pivot shaft assembly together and see how this all fits.

Max
Attachments
Time to tack on the mount and see if this all works.
Time to tack on the mount and see if this all works.
Hydraulic Jack

Post by Hydraulic Jack »

Regarding the goober welds on the steering head, I would be tempted to remove the gussets completely, clean the frame tubes, and start over.

As for the expansion chamber fitment, if you find a combination that makes the whole body of the pipe work with the rest of the assembly but leaves the head pipe slightly cocked, you can wiggle in the head pipe with a torch. Cherry up a section of head pipe in a convenient spot and tweak and tighten the collar nut. The difference in alignment should be very slight anyway, and should be easy enough to correct. Easier at any rate than trying to move, ding, stand off, and rebracket the rest of the pipe.
Hydraulic Jack
hodakamax

Post by hodakamax »

I just returned from Rod Blackburn's Hot Rod Shop where he dropped everything and welded up the pivot arm along with tacking on the pipe bracket. Wow, what a resource that guy is. Check those teeny welds! I did replace the 1/4 shaft with some tough stuff courtesy of my engineer friend. Now I can put all this together and check all the clearances before some serious grinding,welding and blasting on the frame.

One of zillions of reports---

Maxie
Attachments
Welded pivot assembly
Welded pivot assembly
hodakamax

Post by hodakamax »

A bolt together test and all is well. Really close I must say. :shock:

Max
Attachments
Close but clear.
Close but clear.
Hey, 1/8" clearance is plenty!
Hey, 1/8" clearance is plenty!
Bill2001

Post by Bill2001 »

Ach, ya. Als the Chermins would say, "gutentight".

:)
on a '72 Wombat 94

--Bill
hodakamax

Post by hodakamax »

The Dremel has logged some time the last two days as has almost all brass brushes and anything related to wheel polishing including me. Not show quality but better by orders of magnitude and quite acceptable for the project. This has been holding up the tire mounting for awhile. The tires are Avon AV83 rated S for a maximum speed of 112 MPH which should cover the road race version. Front size is 2.75 x 18 and rear 3.00 x 18. I'm finding that these are difficult sizes to find and can be expensive. The Avons helped the budget with total tire bill less than $150 with tubes, rim strips and shipping.

I must say that it does look better hanging around the shop with shiny wheels and real tires, more motorcycle like. At least some of the complicated mechanical work has been prototyped and I can get on with on with some structural repairs. I'm getting close to the initial blasting for repairs and other welding which is always a good visual thing after weeks of rust, paint remnants and grind marks.

Just as I was on a roll my wife tells me that company is coming for the weekend and that I should act responsible for a few days by helping her prep the house. I do have a few messes going. Whatever. :?

Reporting, :)

Max
Attachments
Shiny wheels and new tires!
Shiny wheels and new tires!
DSCN3380.jpg
DSCN3381.jpg
Makotosun

Post by Makotosun »

Looking SWEET!
"If you can't fix it with a hammer, then it's an electrical problem"
"Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it."
"You can tell a professional by the lack of wrinkles in his duct tape . . ."
Bill2001

Post by Bill2001 »

Nice!!

Wheels are a benchmark. Now you can sit on the bike and make vrooom vrooomm pretend-noises.
on a '72 Wombat 94

--Bill
hodakamax

Post by hodakamax »

Hey thanks Gary! Encouragement keeps this project going!

And Bill. Yes! Varoom sounds already made! :D

Maxie
Bullfrog
Location: Oregon, 12 miles from the center of the Hodaka Universe(Athena)

Post by Bullfrog »

Very nice craftsmanship on the brake pivot rod/arm assembly! It is just so amazing how installing the wheels and tires increases the pulse rate! Glad to hear that engine noises have already been er, um, voiced . . . heck I did a little "rrrrrriiiiiiinnnnNNNNNGGGGG-ding-ding" right here in front of the computer!
Ed
Keep the rubber side down!
matt glascock

Post by matt glascock »

:lol:
hodakamax

Post by hodakamax »

Giggle giggle. It's good to know that we're all still kids at heart! :lol:

Maxie
matt glascock

Post by matt glascock »

I think we're all still just kids period. Evidence you ask? Talk to my wife.