The 2 the Max Project

The main Page for the Hodaka Club Discussion Group
olddogs

Re: The 2 the Max Project

Post by olddogs »

I had an interesting brush with aviation history in the mid 70s when I was working for a boat building company that had a NASA contract to build prototype wooden turbine blades for a wind energy project. We were flown to California where we got to spend days crawling through and examining every nook and cranny of the H4 Hercules (Spruce Goose) It was constructed using very thin sheets of birch plywood glued together to make lightweight laminates. We copied many of the design techniques for rib structures and glue joints and incorporated them into the blade production. A couple years later it was put on public display, but the tour did not let you crawl into the spaces we had access to.
hodakamax

Post by hodakamax »

Good story on inspecting the Spruce Goose. What a giant thing that is. I've never seen it but have always been fascinated by the craft and it's story. Maybe I should call you Lucky Dog rather than olddogs! Thanks!

Maxie
hodakamax

Post by hodakamax »

Larry S wrote:Max - One more comment before we get back on topic. The next time you run out of projects and get bored, you need to add a Hellcat, Zero, and Mosquito to your collection.

Larry S
Thanks Larry! The Mosquito would be the one! Not much chance of running out of projects soon. An elaborate Phantom is on the shelf but this Hodaka project is too fun to put down. Decisions, decisions!

Maxie
hodakamax

Post by hodakamax »

Off the path and back on. The Model Display is under control and the project is back on the bench, er, table. It looks like it's time to go to Ace Hardware for a few fasteners to start a more permanent assembly. Back underway. :)

Maxie
Attachments
Back on the production line.
Back on the production line.
hodakamax

Post by hodakamax »

Early fears on the prototype that the two bolts holding the footpeg plates might be a weak point even though the plate slips over the swing arm boss have been addressed with a hardened washer on the swing arm bolt. This should provide a solid mount for the plates.

Maxie
Attachments
Rear footpeg plate secured!
Rear footpeg plate secured!
Bill2001

Post by Bill2001 »

Hardened washers are good. Especially the larger diameter washers. The narrow contact point of the bolt can create create a stress point and the wide washer can spread the force out.

Caswell Plating makes home anodizing kits that would work great on small projects like this.
Keepin' the Shiny Side up
on a '72 Wombat 94

--Bill
hodakamax

Post by hodakamax »

Lotsa things going on in Max's world, all good, thankfully. I'm about to get caught up and suddenly noticed the project had worked it's way to page 3. Not good. Here's a report to show I'm not lost at sea or mysteriously disappeared. Some minor assembly is happening and intake manifold parts are off to the machine shop for modifications. Shocks on the way. I found this cool Webco 4 bolt, 42T aluminum sprocket in the Hodaka shed yesterday and freshened it up on the drill press. This will be good for testing, appearance and short road race courses. Perfect actually! 8-)

Maxie
Attachments
Vintage Webco!
Vintage Webco!
Assembly begins!
Assembly begins!
hodakamax

Post by hodakamax »

Some more progress on the project. Rear wheel, shocks and brakes operational. These cheap, $63 including freight, Chinese shocks will work for testing and shows but are 1/2 pound heavier than Super Rat stock shocks. I'll probably use stock Ace 90 rear shocks which could save 2-4 pounds or 1-2% of the total weight of the bike. Hey, F=ma. We don't want to be giving away a few miles per hour here. BTW, this is an almost daily report on The Hodaka Fan Club, Facebook from purchase to present. You've seen it and they haven't, but it's a bit more detailed should you give a hoot.. 8-) .

Maxie
Attachments
Shocking progress.
Shocking progress.
Bruce Young

Post by Bruce Young »

Max, if you need ACE 90 shocks to run let me know Max only I will give you all you need, no charge, just run our sticker , or I can send you one pair for mounting and etc, and bring more to Hodaka Days, Bruce Young
Bruce Young - HodakaPartsIdaho
hodakamax

Post by hodakamax »

Hey thanks Bruce! We'll figure something out. Appreciate your support and friendship!

Maxie
hodakamax

Post by hodakamax »

Assembly seems to be flying along now that I don't have to use hammers, grinders and degreasers. A rolling chassis is always good. All that stuff I've been stumbling over for months is now mostly in one place. The GPS recording speedometer seems happy in its new mount. The rear brake assembly is working perfect in spite of engineering trials and tribulations, including naysayers, LOL. 8-)

Maxie

Ps--check out the teeny little engine in the first picture that I'll be using to set the 25cc record.
Attachments
A roller.
A roller.
Happy GPS recording speedometer.
Happy GPS recording speedometer.
matt glascock

Post by matt glascock »

That's so funny Maxie! I looked at the pictures before reading the captions. I was thinking 'did Maxie leave that motor in the dryer too long?' :lol: By the way, this project is awesome!!
hodakamax

Post by hodakamax »

Thanks Matt, not everyone appreciates my silly sense of humor. LOL! 8-)

Maxie
matt glascock

Post by matt glascock »

HaHa! Let me know when you get the bike finished and I'll go "pinks" with you on my Benelli Buzzer! I'm talkin' 65CCs of fire-breathing, raw power here! :lol:
viclioce

Post by viclioce »

Max. I can’t wait to see & hear how this bike runs for its speed tests!!! :ugeek: Victor

1978 175SL
1976 03 Wombat
1975 99 Road Toad (2)
1973 96 Dirt Squirt (2)
1973 “Wombat Combat”
1973 Combat Wombat
1972 94 Wombat (2)
1972 Super Squirt
1971 92B+ Ace
1970 92B Ace 100B (2)
1968 92 Ace 100
1966 Ace 90
; D Victor
Bill2001

Post by Bill2001 »

Max, will it be ready for HD this year?
on a '72 Wombat 94

--Bill
hodakamax

Post by hodakamax »

Hey Bill. We are flying to Hodaka Days and will not be taking bikes. A friend may be bringing me some 4-stroke device for the Black Rock ride. I need to start practicing to see if I'll be physically able to ride and how long. The knee is well healed but my endurance is limited on that side. I'll probably need clearance from Dr. Sawbones. Still up in the air. As for the project, it's still W.I.P. Spring has sprung in Kansas and lotsa outdoor things need addressed on the place. Will you be there?

Maxie
taber hodaka

Post by taber hodaka »

Max the Bad Rock ride does not take a lot of endurance. It is a really neat ride in the rolling hills of Oregon. Nice old country roads, Some a little rutted, sections with mud and bogs if wet, Beautiful country views, rest stops and watering holes, fun steeper uphill paths through the pines. One downhill that is a down hill section and numerous creek crossings. If you get stalled everyone is a friend and offers help. there are washed out and badly rutted sections but they are well marked. It is a blast on a 2 stroke Hodaka . I would be nice if all the old dealers could show up, You and I must have been among the youngest dealers. ----------Clarence
MTrat

Post by MTrat »

The Umatilla TT poker run on Thursday also offers a great ride through great country with nice checkpoint attractions. I have ridden both the TT and Bad Rock on successive days for some more Hodaka Days fun.
hodakamax

Post by hodakamax »

A minor report on the 2 the Max project to keep things alive and current. The Project spent part of the day going backwards as I tried to install the crankcase into the frame. Best laid plans of mice and men sometimes go astray. The crankcase strikes the bearing housing I have repositioned to cure a flexing condition in the foot brake shaft, if you followed that one. Things are close in that area and I needed another 1/4 inch to get this to work without many options. A slight elongation of bolt holes on the bearing housing and frame helps but the bearing will only move so far. Cutting slight reliefs in both the bearing housing and the crankcase make for a tight but good fit. Whew, a close one, cheating death once again. Well, it at least made a good story. Just another small challenge. :?

Maxie
Attachments
Mighty close fit here!
Mighty close fit here!
Last edited by hodakamax on Wed Mar 28, 2018 1:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
matt glascock

Post by matt glascock »

Yikes! Close call, Maxie! Very clever solution. Good save. Hey, that might make an excellent title for your next project!!!
hodakamax

Post by hodakamax »

Funny Matt, I'll add that to the Great Book of "Good Sayings". I'm not sure that one's in there. lol.

Maxie
matt glascock

Post by matt glascock »

:lol:
hodakamax

Post by hodakamax »

A updated shot of the machine. This thing improves the look of the shop and adds to my self-esteem. lol. I may leave it hanging there for a while. Still a hollow engine but I'm thinking and gathering parts as we speak. After a crankcase weigh-in, I discovered that an Ace 100 case is 3/4 pounds lighter than the Model 93 cases. I'll go with the Ace. I'll go with the Model 93 head and save two more pounds over the twice the weight Webco head. That Webco head is funky cool for show and pictures I must say. I'll keep it around for such things. That's the report!

Maxie
Attachments
Nice deco in the shop!
Nice deco in the shop!
DSCN3711.jpg
Bill2001

Post by Bill2001 »

Sorry Max, I skipped over your question about my attending HD this year. No, not this year. I'm planning next year-- driving a truck out, bringing the Wbat, and sightseeing the Pacific Northwest. And while I'm there visiting Pocatello Idaho, where I was born. We moved tp B'ham in '53 and I've never been back.

One reason I missed your msg is that I have a new playtoy: a small milling machine. Getting it put in and adjusted and getting ready to start on a project with.
And if course riding the Wombat.
on a '72 Wombat 94

--Bill