Slow going off the line

The main Page for the Hodaka Club Discussion Group
matt glascock

Re: Slow going off the line

Post by matt glascock »

Excellent Go. Very helpful. Thank you. That is exactly as HJ described. I'm on it.
go_hercules

Post by go_hercules »

One more question before I pull my hair out. How easily should the clutch hub slip through the clutch cage? If everything is in good shape without burrs, washboarding, etc., should it more or less slip on through? Mine appears to have no damage, but you have to sort of shimmy it back and forth to get it to move through the cage by hand. Thanks.
Hydraulic Jack

Post by Hydraulic Jack »

You have to shimmy it. Tolerances are close. If you were to grease the contact points between rotor and cage, it would likely slip right through, but steel against aluminum is pretty grabby. Once everything is all bolted together, the rotor can't cock in the cage, and everything starts to work smoothly.
Hydraulic Jack
go_hercules

Post by go_hercules »

Good to know, thank you. I could not find the source of the rattling/growling noise in my clutch. So I took a closer look at the throwout bearing. I could push on it to load it and spin it. It feels fairly smooth. But I decided to take it apart. After about an hour I manged to get that tiny clip off. The balls are good, but there is some small indentations in the race. We are talking very small I can feel, and hear, when I drag a pick across it. I think this is causing the crunchiness and the noise. I will order a new one and see how it goes.
Attachments
unnamed (2).jpg
unnamed (1).jpg
matt glascock

Post by matt glascock »

This will be cool to know. Good luck!
go_hercules

Post by go_hercules »

Thanks Matt. Pristine pinion bushing and pinion gear. Plates and disks all good. Springs good. What could be left? I figured this has to be it. Will let you know when I put it back together.
matt glascock

Post by matt glascock »

Awesome. Looking forward to the results. You've totally covered all else!
taber hodaka

Post by taber hodaka »

To me it looks like you have some chipped teeth I could be wrong. Also the post on page four July 5th at 8:02 the video of the clutch rotation inspection. The segment between 22 and 28 seconds, has that in and out slack been taken care of hopefully? -----Clarence
go_hercules

Post by go_hercules »

Go_Hercules here. I posted the pictures above of the throwout bearing with the tiny little flaws in the raceways. Well, using a Dremel grinding stone in a drill press, I smoothed out the surface in the pocket of the disk. Then I chucked up the stem piece and using a small file I smoothed it out. Put it all back together and it's as quiet as could be. Now like I mentioned, putting pressure on it and spinning it, it felt perfectly fine. But the balls riding across that little pitting made one hell of a racket at speed. And I think it echoes or amplifies inside the case. I will ride it like this awhile and see how it holds up. Those pieces are probably case hardened so I am hoping I didn't grind through the hard surface. I think I only took off a few thousandths so I am probably okay.
Bullfrog
Location: Oregon, 12 miles from the center of the Hodaka Universe(Athena)

Post by Bullfrog »

Nifty test!
Keep the rubber side down!
sparkyj

Post by sparkyj »

Hey Go_Hercules. Sorry i have not replied to this post in a while.
in the mean time...
I replaced the throw out (clutch) bearing. That didn't seem to make any difference, sadly.

I managed to make a few videos of the situation, so as to describe the noise:
https://youtu.be/_P3PLe2GUrQ
sparkyj

Post by sparkyj »

And here is another vid:
https://youtu.be/9C1yHR5EhLw