old man going north

The main Page for the Hodaka Club Discussion Group
Bruce Young

Re: old man going north

Post by Bruce Young »

Max-- good luck with Surgery, please lets see what you can do with modifications on the walker. HA HA
bruce Young
Bruce Young - HodakaPartsIdaho
hodakamax

Post by hodakamax »

Hodakaparts.com wrote:Max-- good luck with Surgery, please lets see what you can do with modifications on the walker. HA HA
bruce Young
Hey Bruce, I do have time on my hands and have considered all of the above. The beginning of this story starts with the evolution of the parental/family walker that shows up in all families along the path through life. Let us save it for the next victim we always say. Ah, knee surgery. At least I won't be without a walker as I've had this on file for decades. Let's get this artifact detailed as the next victim is ready. Yellow decals are removed and are replaced with proper Bell Helmet and proper vintage #32 markings and details, then it's placed in the post-surgery room. Dad would have been proud or at least humored me.

My first trip down the recovery hall reveals a flaw in my plan. My equipment is well prepared and has "the look" of the polished BSA Gold Star or even Norton Manx.The problem is that the competitors are motoring ahead in both curves and straights with ease. Back to the pits for some chassis adjustment. It doesn't take long to figure out that the bar height is too low and I've run out of adjustment. This model appears to be made for a small Chinese gentleman or is a child version. I've thrown the old version in the "weird parts for fabrication of weird things" bin so I can save it hopefully for several more decades and finally get some use out of this seemingly valuable piece of equipment. I now find out or probably already knew that insurance covers walkers and I've ordered the latest Chinese C-rocket which should be here momentarily. Hopefully, it will make me at least somewhat competitive again. That's the report for now. 8-)

Ah, I see it's time for Medival Rehab. They seem to be preparing some rack to make me longer with chains and post levers. My weapon of the day is the spiked hammer with leather accessories backed up with my handy Cat 'O Nine Tails which usually keeps them at bay. Ya gotta attack these things with a good attitude to keep on top!

Maxie
taber hodaka

Post by taber hodaka »

Max if you want to stand out in the crowd, put your shorts on over the sweat pants and just smile allot. ------------ Clarence
viclioce

Post by viclioce »

Glad you’re doing well Max! Sounds like the “Old Man” is staying busy!

I too have an “Old Man” who is going to post knee surgery physical therapy! HS was just a scope, however, no new parts, for now. He tells the PT technician “don’t you have anything for me to do which can challenge me?” LOL! Seems it only hurts a tiny bit, later!

Funny thing though. The knee is all fixed but the damned plantar fascia is inflamed, ON THE SAME DAMNED SIDE, making it harder for this “Old Man” to walk correctly. So he made an appointment with his favorite podiatrist and sees her on Wednesday, just before he goes for his 4 week follow up with the knee surgeon! Wish this Old Man Luck as he says to tell your Old Man best of luck with his recovery! :ugeek: Victor

1978 175SL
1976 03 Wombat
1975 99 Road Toad (2)
1973 96 Dirt Squirt (2)
1973 “Wombat Combat”
1973 Combat Wombat
1972 94 Wombat (2)
1972 Super Squirt
1971 92B+ Ace
1970 92B Ace 100B (2)
1968 92 Ace 100
1966 Ace 90
; D Victor
hodakamax

Post by hodakamax »

Being semi-retired, the Old Man and I meet up with some friends up North a few times a week for breakfast and discussion of world and current events, hopefully laced with reports of recent cultural happenings, sports, opinions and experiences to expand our sphere of life and well being. Sometimes it works but usually not. Death and dying, misery and prescriptions, pain comparisons, injustices, politics and rain gauges must be dealt with first. I've quickly learned not to announce rain gauge totals first. You will end having the lowest amount in the total rain report. It's like fishing, the first guy doesn't have a chance. It goes through the seasons. Hey, I shot an 8-point buck yesterday with a bow that weighed almost 200 pounds! "That's nothing," (always the preface)," I got a 10-pointer, over 200 pounds yesterday!" Facts are avoided such as his weapon was really his pick-up truck and a major deer/auto collision. Almost the truth as we call it.

With the Old Man's impending knee surgery on the horizon it seemed prudent and entertaining to keep the info from our group's most experienced medical advisor and good friend who really does have the most surgeries, prescriptions and implanted parts including three knees which we only have two each of. Hard to keep up. The plan was to see how long we could keep this news secret as we already had a full file of pre-op advice on the best methods, doctors and facilities, all first class and best in their field. The game was a funny diversion to the upcoming event. I do like to write and tell stories and this could turn out to be a wealth of materials for recovery.

Finally the cat was out of the bag but not before the Old Man was repaired and put to bed for the night. Not bad rumor suppression for a small-town. Our breakfast medical expert on hearing the news immediately went to the hospital well equipped with extra walkers, crutches, advice and opinions to explain to the groggy Old Man. He also came with a sincere vow to help in anyway needed and to call for any help needed.

I guess this is what having good friends is all about. Even though I'll never have more rain, catch a bigger fish or have more pain it's always good to know that I have a caring friend. Another lesson learned in the story of the Old Man.

Maxie
viclioce

Post by viclioce »

I worked with a guy, Floyd,who was like that. If you had a truck, he had one that was better! If you had a dog who could do a trick, Floyd’s dog was smarter & could do way more tricks.

One day some of us were talking about skiing. He had never been, but it one point in the conversation, he said “I’ve never skied, but I have slid down the icy driveway wearing my boots, so I know I could get the hang of it pretty quick!”

So we decided to put some spare equipment together & take Floyd with us! We decided to outfit him and take him up on the lift straight away. We told him “Don’t tell the lift operator you’ve never skied. If you fall getting off the lift, everyone does it the first few times! We will teach you how to ski when we get off the lift at the top!”

When we arrived at the top of the lift, Floyd, of course, fell getting off. But he got himself up soon enough so as not be too much in the way. Then we talked about how to use the skis to control your way down the hill.

Our friend, Tom, made a overly exaggerated snow plow, talking about how to do it, and barely slid down the first portion of the hill, explaining as he was sliding, to where the hill flattened out & Tom stopped. Then, I turned to Floyd & said are you ready to try it, or do you want to see it again. He said “Show me again,” as I thought he would.

I told him this time I would add turning to the lesson and demonstrate it & he said “Great!” And I exaggerated the wedge again and leaned from side to side and demonstrated how to turn as well, in both directions.

I got Down next to Tom & we said “OK, it’s now or never!” Floyd started down the hill, immediately fell and tumbled down the hill badly! But, we had to give him credit. He got up, kept trying, & with a lot of work and listening, he made it down the hill on the easiest route, but falling numerous times.

At one point Tom turned to Floyd and said, “Not quote as easy as sliding down an icy driveway in your boots, huh?”

I’m sure glad he never asked me to reach him to ride a motorcycle! That could have been an expensive lesson for both of us!

We all have people in our lives who seem to be not much more than a cross to bear. Sometimes, they become friends and even lighten up a bit! Heal well Maxie, and get back to the business of enjoying life! :ugeek: Victor

1978 175SL
1976 03 Wombat
1975 99 Road Toad (2)
1973 96 Dirt Squirt (2)
1973 “Wombat Combat”
1973 Combat Wombat
1972 94 Wombat (2)
1972 Super Squirt
1971 92B+ Ace
1970 92B Ace 100B (2)
1968 92 Ace 100
1966 Ace 90
; D Victor
hodakamax

Post by hodakamax »

I'm starting to see some movement and clues that the Old Man is coming back around. We did see lights and heard rattling around in the Hodaka Shed last night. He and I have the only keys now after having to change the lock after we discovered that the Raccoons also had a key. What a mess that was. It was hard to tell who's project was what. I did hide the paint ladders for the season. We'll try to address that in the Spring. I also noticed that the Old Man is not as grumpy as he was and even approaching tolerable, All for the good. That's the report.

Max
viclioce

Post by viclioce »

:P :lol: Victor

1978 175SL
1976 03 Wombat
1975 99 Road Toad (2)
1973 96 Dirt Squirt (2)
1973 “Wombat Combat”
1973 Combat Wombat
1972 94 Wombat (2)
1972 Super Squirt
1971 92B+ Ace
1970 92B Ace 100B (2)
1968 92 Ace 100
1966 Ace 90
; D Victor
hodakamax

Post by hodakamax »

Ok, I thought I'd better give a quick report on the Old Man's status after that new unobtainium knee replacement. All is going along to schedule they say. We got the walker and now the cane away from him now and he's cruising the shop planning projects and not as grumpy as he was.

A side note here. The Old Man is still giggling and not letting me forget about me crashing the inert 2 the Max bike by falling for the old shoelace trick and tipping over in the shop with my foot pinned to the footpeg by the said shoelace.

"What goes around comes around" I told him. Since he was already wounded, I didn't want him falling into a pile of parts like I did and further injuring himself. We tested the four legged cane extensively before turning him loose on that device. We finally decided that it was nearly impossible to do the shoelace crash with that device and released him to run, er, walk is the term. 8-)

Reporting,

Maxie
Attachments
Extensive testing of the four-legger.
Extensive testing of the four-legger.
Bruce Young

Post by Bruce Young »

Max how about a picture of the Knee, since the you got the knee and fitted it with new parts. I am sure there is a great zipper on the knee/leg you can show off to the grand kids now and when you bench race with buddy's, you can tell other reasons and stories as well. This knee thing may turn out to be a new racing story I think. Bruce Young
Bruce Young - HodakaPartsIdaho
taber hodaka

Post by taber hodaka »

Blizzard here in Montana and I am never ready for winter this early. I took really nice Nitto tires off the old rat I'm redoing. The old man was a great help with the painting. I put the painting supplies back on the old buss as it heads back to Kansas.
S4010241.JPG
S4010234.JPG
Clarence
S4010228.JPG
Old man painting in Montana
hodakamax

Post by hodakamax »

The gray of Winter has also arrived in SE Kansas. Yesterday the Snow Geese came over in waves pointed South and a damp drizzle reminded us that Winter was approaching. You might want to keep the Old Man around for Winter after seeing that snow shoveling demo from last season and I won't need him for painting until ice-out.

Maxie
Attachments
Winter is approaching
Winter is approaching
matt glascock

Post by matt glascock »

Maxie, it just occurred to me that with a bit more upward pitch at the end of that dock, you might be able to clear that pond at about 60 mph. Just spit ballin' here.
hodakamax

Post by hodakamax »

Hey Matt, Yeah, I've looked at that for years. There are steps just out of the picture on a jagged run to the house. Not a chance of even 30 MPH. The effort would be doomed but it doesn't hurt to dream I guess. :lol:

Max
matt glascock

Post by matt glascock »

On the run-up concern, I don't think there's anything that 10 minutes and a good track skid steer couldn't straighten out. :lol:
hodakamax

Post by hodakamax »

I put this important news story on Victor's post "Theft in the Neighborhood" but Z stories are usually on this post. So for Clarence and Victor here's the story where it should be. Someone in Europe reported finding an unexploded WWII bomb and the authorities were notified. When the Bomb people arrived they discovered a giant zucchini hiding in the weeds. As I said, one can't be too careful and I'm not making this one up. 8-)

Maxie
taber hodaka

Post by taber hodaka »

Max on your way to Hodaka days this year bring the truck sell your good stuff and swing back by me for the Super Rat. I have more body tools than soldering irons and it is time to let them go. I also am weakening on keeping the new 125cc Minarelli Indian engine, time to sell and focus on Hodaka. We will all be glad to see you!, planting the seed and hoping to see them grow. ---------------------Clarence
hodakamax

Post by hodakamax »

Grrr. Kansas deer season and for the first time in 50 years the Old man is not doing his traditional and ritual hunt. A couple of things are happening. First a knee replacement near opening day in October. Archery season lasts about three months and he thought he might try later in the season. We took his old frayed bow away from him a couple of years ago as it appeared failure was eminent (just like his knee) and replaced it with a hot crossbow. As everyone gets older this bow gets harder to pull and with this new contraption he can arm it as he leaves the house. He did go down the hill the other day to check the favorite stand and came back complaining that the tree must have grown because the steps were further apart. Yet another feeble excuse.

The Old Man did mention that he's glad he didn't have to get in that tree this morning at 9 degrees F. Pluses and minuses he said. I think the deer have all this figured out as they wander around the house almost every day as to taunt him. The gun people get to hunt for about ten days and that's happening now. His permit that he hasn't bought yet allows any weapon, gun or archery to be used during that period. I mentioned that he could legally shoot one out the window with a gun while near the stove. After all these years I must admit the Old Man has developed some ethics and stated that would be unfair after years of archery hunting. The game should be fair he said. Agreed. He should be in the woods with his bow of sorts.

I'm starting to see a pattern of excuses here. The knee? Maybe. Cold and rainy? A fair excuse. Tree steps getting further apart? Preposterous. Window shot with gun? We all have our ethics. Compassion? All possible. Meanwhile he's glued to the window watching all this action. Looks like no venison this year. Maybe next year he says. 8-)

Maxie
Attachments
Taunting the Old Man--Game camera
Taunting the Old Man--Game camera
hodakamax

Post by hodakamax »

Wow, Clarence and Max have been heckling each other on Old Man Going North since May 7, 2016 and I see it's had 19,090 views. I always try to keep it on a current page so this is how to get it there. It all started when Clarence saw a picture of me and asked who the Old Man was. Lotsa tales and whoppers have passed through this post. That Clarence is a hoot but not to be believed. 8-) Ok, back to the current page. I think it's Clarence's turn. He did start it you know. :?

Maxie AKA The Old Man :o

PS--Part of the Raccoon stories were kinda true but for the most part should be filed under "Fake news".
taber hodaka

Post by taber hodaka »

In Arizona we call it flake news. We have flakes in Montana but we call them snow flakes. A few folks may not know the old man is actually two people. However it would be really nice if Max could make it to Hodaka Days this year, is there a chance? The old dealers should have a rondavue "I'll use Jack for spell check". About a inch of snow here, a open winter so far. Max have you ever heard Sissel sing Auld Lang Syne, she is a favorite on my cultural side. ------Clarence
hodakamax

Post by hodakamax »

Well, we didn't want The Old Man left out during the holiday season and we had him over for Christmas morning. Man, he knocked em' dead on the gift exchange, check out all this cool stuff! A new tie, a Bob Ross coloring book, golf spheres or whatever they are, even a zucchini Spiralizer! He was happy as a clam! Better to give than receive especially on that haul.

Just doing the right thing!

Merry Christmas to the Gang and especially Clarence for making all this happen.

Max, Eweleen and The Old Man. 8-)
Attachments
The Old Man's Christmas haul!
The Old Man's Christmas haul!
Bullfrog
Location: Oregon, 12 miles from the center of the Hodaka Universe(Athena)

Post by Bullfrog »

Oooooooweeeeee. White, spherical pellet gun targets, one of the nifty- est ties ever, and a zuchini spiralizer (which greatly improves the speed of decomposition when the zucchini is placed where it belongs . . . on the compost pile
:-) ! ) Merry Christmas to old men, regardless of their direction of travel!
Ed
Keep the rubber side down!
taber hodaka

Post by taber hodaka »

Now I know what the snail said when he rode on the turtles back. OOO000ooooooWWwweeeeeeeeeee. But what is in the bottle with the sweater. When we started the old man Ed said he was going to hide in the bushes and watch. I do think the old man is slowing but packing more wisdom. Merry Christmas all ------------ I like harmony but not grits. ----- Clarence
Bullfrog
Location: Oregon, 12 miles from the center of the Hodaka Universe(Athena)

Post by Bullfrog »

Don'tchajustluv auto-spell check? I'm wondering, do most folks like harmony more than hominy or grits?
Keep the rubber side down!
hodakamax

Post by hodakamax »

The Old Man really liked the Bob Ross coloring book. For those unfamiliar with Bob Ross painting on PBS programming and his really big hair, you kinda missed out, well a little bit. Corny but educational. Little did I know that this was The Old Man's favorite program in the day. I've already found the perfect birthday Chia pet gift for him. Don't tell! Check it out! 8-) He does like growing things.

Maxie
Attachments
The perfect gift.
The perfect gift.