Day One - New Project

The main Page for the Hodaka Club Discussion Group
Bill2001

Re: Day One - New Project

Post by Bill2001 »

> nifty custom protectors for the slides

Yep, and Fuji film cans for Mikuni carb parts is sooo appropriate. I'm starting to run out of film cans, haven't done non-digital in years.

I'm slowly getting my carb dialed in. Lotta TLAR work, and using my magic temp gauge.
Keepin' the Shiny Side up
on a '72 Wombat 94

--Bill
hodakamax

Post by hodakamax »

I see that I'm going to have to start some Hodaka related project to stay in the Forum's social graces. With the Day One Project done I've run out of fun things to discuss with my friends. It's way too cold to rummage around in the Hodaka shed (-4 degrees) but hopefully Spring will arrive soon. Cabin Fever is starting to set in and I've even started on a model airplane that I use a a last resort for entertainment in the deep of Winter. Food and drink are stored so I'll be fine. :lol:

Maxie
viclioce

Post by viclioce »

You don't Ski??? ; D Victor

1978 175SL
1976 03 Wombat
1975 99 Road Toad (2)
1973 96 Dirt Squirt (2)
1973 “Wombat Combat”
1973 Combat Wombat
1972 94 Wombat (2)
1972 Super Squirt
1971 92B+ Ace
1970 92B Ace 100B (2)
1968 92 Ace 100
1966 Ace 90
; D Victor
hodakamax

Post by hodakamax »

Well, it's Winter still and even the model airplane project is not exciting me very much. There was a few good days after the last ice storm and Eweleen and I about did ourselves in running the chain saw and dragging/burning down-fall stuff. Nothing too serious but we did get outside.

An update on the Day One Project is that I did consolidate all the material and photos from the fun and rewarding project and submitted it to a magazine for publication. You never know how these things will or will not come out but I've learned to accept rejection. :? Ya never know. In the end I will give a final report on the Resonator if it does not get published or no magazine copyrights are violated.

I do qualify to be a photographer but my writing skills are still being worked on. The Forum and Resonator have really been good (and fun!) for my new ambitions. My wife Eweleen, a retired Journalism and English teacher has been instrumental in my endeavor and is a tough teacher with a red marker who gives me zero slack. I can even type now! OK, at least much better. ;)

Just a report and I am looking for a new project both mechanical and photojournalistic. Thanks to all for your interaction on the project and all my other ramblings! I'll keep you posted! :)

Maxie
rtboone

Post by rtboone »

Greetings Max

Great work in bringing back and transforming what was a pretty well used up and beaten down old Hodaka. It looks like a lot of fun to ride.
Comparison of the first and most recent photo's shows what a truly skilled craftsman can do with a little bit of time, imagination, and an understanding wife. I really enjoy seeing what folks come up with to personalize/customize their motorcycles. That's what makes building these old scooters fun for me as well.

Just out of curiosity, how are those shocks working out for you? They look glossy and high tech, but do they perform well? I guess the proof is in the "Putting".

Tom
hodakamax

Post by hodakamax »

Hey Tom, Thanks for your comments! As for the shocks, I really haven't put them to any demanding tests. They seem to work well and as you say, time will tell. Winter kinda caught me and I've stored things away 'til Spring. The engine seems to have lots of power but not the extreme low-end that I was striving for. Performance at low RPM is normal but I think could be improved with a different exhaust system still using the long header pipe. I'll keep you posted on the shocks and such as the fair weather rider comes out of Winter hibernation. :)

Max
hodakamax

Post by hodakamax »

Hey Gang, I'm contemplating building a more trials-like exhaust for the project and I'm certainly open to suggestions. I will keep the long header pipe as is but would like to eliminate the Model 94 muffler. Any ideas or specs on successful examples would be appreciated. Even though the bike now runs well, I think improvements could be made in both torque and weight loss and should stay with the unique theme of the bike which says "Hodakas were made to be modified!"

Thanks in advance! ;) (You guys always come through!)

Max
taber hodaka

Post by taber hodaka »

I like the sound and looks of the Bultaco matador exhaust muffler. Ossa could have used it also. Just my $0.0037 cents worth. Never be normal or you will be predictable. ---------Clarence
hodakamax

Post by hodakamax »

Does anyone have a clue on what's inside these Bultaco things?
Attachments
Unknown.jpeg
Unknown.jpeg (3.5 KiB) Viewed 9145 times
Unknown-1.jpeg
Unknown-1.jpeg (4.69 KiB) Viewed 9145 times
Unknown-2.jpeg
Unknown-2.jpeg (3.43 KiB) Viewed 9145 times
dirty_rat

Post by dirty_rat »

If they are anything like my Yamaha TY muffler, there is a maze of aluminum walls inside and some fiberglass packing. One of them (the bottom one) looks like it might be a regular muffler, with a perforated tube surrounded by fiberglass packing.
mac

Post by mac »

Hi Max,

The first two should look like this one inside.It is from a little bit later model(Bultaco) so a little different shape,but they should have the same perforated tube running through the middle and should have packing.
Your third photo looks like an after market from Sammy Miller and as said is probably the same internally.
Attachments
gallery_15723_158_1095238.jpg
hodakamax

Post by hodakamax »

Wow! Did you saw that open for me?
mac

Post by mac »

Well...I hate to say,but no I didn,t Max.That is a pic that I stole off of trials central,but if you really needed me to I would.I might be opening one up in the very near future for my brothers Sherpa T.

I agree on the Matador silencer Clarence and I am sizing one up for my Ace trials project.
Attachments
DSC05453.JPG
hodakamax

Post by hodakamax »

I'm liking all of this and I'll try to pursue this further. Thanks for the info and keep me posted. I'll do likewise. It looks to be a good project.

Max
hodakamax

Post by hodakamax »

This is class reunion weekend. People ask me what I've been doing the last decade and what my hobbies are. I'm just moving this to the current page for those who really give a hoot. I'll tell them about this great site and they can look it up and see how much fun we have here. To the top. Hmm, I'd almost had forgotten about that new muffler I need to build! :?

Maxie

Page 29 of 29.
hodakamax

Post by hodakamax »

After robbing the reed assembly off of this project (actually for the better) for the 2 the Max project, I still haven't figured this exhaust thing out for the Day One project. Buy or build? I did find this drawing and a possible Bultaco muffler that might be adaptable. I'm not quite sure what's going on inside these things. Any comments, ideas, dimensions or drawings? The header pipe now is about 20 x 1.5 inches. Just questions. :roll:

Max
Attachments
Aftermarket Bultaco $140
Aftermarket Bultaco $140
76c3db2e6d07f089d1277d3f0e197f4c.jpg (6.97 KiB) Viewed 6081 times
What's going on in here?
What's going on in here?
hodakamax

Post by hodakamax »

More thinking, right or wrong. I keep trying to visualize building a trials type muffler out of something. After looking back at this picture it struck me. :shock: Why not gut and cut down the present muffler and modify it as the drawing above? Everything is already in place. I think I'll plot and think on this awhile since I have more than one project cooking. Might work!

Maxie
Attachments
Drastically shorten to a trials muffler?
Drastically shorten to a trials muffler?
hodakamax

Post by hodakamax »

Plenty crude but kinda like this. The blue tape shows where the perfed pipe would as in the drawing above. All quite doable with more info on what's going on. I read that there is some sort of circulation going on inside the unit. Some starting dimensions would be needed and a picture or diagram would certainly help. How does all this match at the ends? Still thinkin'. :roll:

Max

Hey, does anyone have a dead Bultaco or equivalent muffler that we can saw into or even look in the ends?
Attachments
Hand me the Sawzall.
Hand me the Sawzall.
hodakamax

Post by hodakamax »

My wife recently introduced me to Facebook which took me to the Hodaka Fan Club. I'm getting some more mileage on the Day One Project with a daily post on the history and progress of the build. Fun again!

Maxie
Attachments
MAX_HodakaD1End_207flat copy1.jpg
viclioce

Post by viclioce »

Folks there seem to be enjoying your write ups! Pics, as usual, are great! :ugeek: Victor

1978 175SL
1976 03 Wombat
1975 99 Road Toad (2)
1973 96 Dirt Squirt (2)
1973 “Wombat Combat”
1973 Combat Wombat
1972 94 Wombat (2)
1972 Super Squirt
1971 92B+ Ace
1970 92B Ace 100B (2)
1968 92 Ace 100
1966 Ace 90
; D Victor
pfleming29

Post by pfleming29 »

Great start for a great project.
Attachments
My project...combat wombat..little by little!
My project...combat wombat..little by little!
hodakamax

Post by hodakamax »

This is how it all begins------- :D

Maxie
pfleming29

Post by pfleming29 »

It's coming along.
pfleming29

Post by pfleming29 »

It's getting there little by little
hodakamax

Post by hodakamax »

Probably should start a new subject on this old project from years back but this will bring it to the present one more time. Updates with new ideas particularly in my exhaust thinking. Always gathering parts and I may just put a stock Ace 100 engine back in for plunking around and playing with this exhaust. Probably never to compete seriously but every stable needs a slow creeping/crawling log jumper. Some numbers on pipe design for trails noted, torque the idea. Header length a factor.
Seems a legitimate question. How does the engine know how long the header pipe is if the muffler has the same inside diameter along its length? About 22” on this header pipe in this primitive mock up puts the muffler about here. This is the most feasible way to put this puzzle together so far. Careful here, it’s just balanced on a stick and clamps but seems to fit best this way. With obvious adjustment needed course. I want to use this header design because it makes the bike different and I already have a lot of time in both the header and header guard. Not gonna change at this point. Discussion? Maxie
DSCN2502.JPG