Project Dirt Squirt

The main Page for the Hodaka Club Discussion Group
BrianZ

Re: Project Dirt Squirt

Post by BrianZ »

I'm pretty sure it's normal for the Squirt kick start to lay across the pipes heat shield.

Brian
Bullfrog
Location: Oregon, 12 miles from the center of the Hodaka Universe(Athena)

Post by Bullfrog »

This scan from the Dirt Squirt Owners Manual will illustrate the factory stock relationship of the kick starter and the exhaust heat shield. Works well, without interference for the rider. Sorry, it may be a bit lacking in detail - the original printed photos in the Owners Manual are relatively small with a relatively coarse printing dot pattern.
Keep the rubber side down!
Hydraulic Jack

Post by Hydraulic Jack »

As nearly as I can recall, the at rest position of the lever can only be adjusted by changing the length of the rubber bump stop, and not by spline orientation. The lever may mount to the shaft only one way due to discontinuous splines. I would think it normal for the foot pedal to rest on the pipe.
Hydraulic Jack
Zeek

Post by Zeek »

Thanks all,
I figured it'd have to touch, as there doesn't seem any way around it. :D
20170410_160525.jpg
"Experience is something you never get until just after you need it" :D
Little Squirt owner
Zeek

Post by Zeek »

So still on the table :?
But....Oils are in, and I've think I have the wiring sorted?
Wiring seems way too complicated for just a basic little bike? Can't see why it needs the emergency toggle as well as the main switch for lights.
Anyhooo, second click of the key currently give me the lights and speedo backlight, a meep from the horn and brake light function, flipping the headlight dipper gives a red indicator light in the speedo, which seems right.
Clicking the key to the third position appears to light the rear parking light.
Haven't checked for actual spark yet but as far as wiring goes, it should be right.
Can't see why I'd need to use the toggle switch for anything really.
Oil in.jpg
So I went to fit the spark arrestor and found it needed an outer cover first. luckily the old pipe has one but it's somewhat the worse for wear.
I assume that the three end opening should be fully open rather than half folded over?
Spark Arrestor.jpg
Little Squirt owner
matt glascock

Post by matt glascock »

Yessir, those edges should not be folded in like that. A few minutes with a torch and needle nose pliers should do the trick. Me thinks someone hammered that inner into a bent pipe. While you're at it with the torch, it looks like it could use a good cooking to burn out the petrified carbon as well. This is a really cool project. Thanks for sharing the progress!
Zeek

Post by Zeek »

Real close now! I can almost smell the two stroke smoke :lol:
Waiting on a gas cap seal, air filter element and some other small parts.
Not game to put the second rear exhaust clamp on yet as i can see it tearing paint off if it's off by a hair :?
Still thinking I'd like to get the Clam guy hand painted on the air box cover, as per the original but will wait till after the roadworthy in case someone clicks that a Dirt Squirt wasn't intended for road use ;)
Almost finished.jpg
Almost finished2.jpg
Little Squirt owner
Bullfrog

Post by Bullfrog »

Um, since the first few words of information on the ID plate on the steering head read something like, "This is an off-road vehicle not intended for use on . . ."

So I'm wondering what you meant about the possibility of someone posting that the Squirt isn't meant for road use. :?
Ed
viclioce

Post by viclioce »

Maybe it's because where he lives it has to be equipped that way in order to pass inspection which he stated very early on in this project. :mrgreen: Victor

1978 175SL
1976 03 Wombat
1975 99 Road Toad (2)
1973 96 Dirt Squirt (2)
1973 “Wombat Combat”
1973 Combat Wombat
1972 94 Wombat (2)
1972 Super Squirt
1971 92B+ Ace
1970 92B Ace 100B (2)
1968 92 Ace 100
1966 Ace 90
; D Victor
Zeek

Post by Zeek »

Bullfrog wrote:Um, since the first few words of information on the ID plate on the steering head read something like, "This is an off-road vehicle not intended for use on . . ."

So I'm wondering what you meant about the possibility of someone posting that the Squirt isn't meant for road use. :?
Ed
Unfortunately the previous owner has blasted the frame plate, so it's basically toast and has been removed until i can find someone to replicate one.
I've have talked to the traffic department here and they have some records of Hodaka's however they don't really even know what a Dirt Squirt is :D
I don't want to tempt fate by having it's identity emblazoned on the side, just in case.
So current thinking is if it complies with the "standards of the day" I should be OK.
Little Squirt owner
Bullfrog

Post by Bullfrog »

Ahh, so the steering head ID plate won't be telling the state inspector, "Hi! I'm a dirt bike which was never intended for highway use." So you might slide by.

Ed
Zeek

Post by Zeek »

Went to do the first start up test today....fail :(
The fuel tap I tried to rebuild in dribbling fuel when turned off, and once some fuel had run through it decided to seize up :roll:
But the bigger problem is no spark, zilch, nada nothink.
So seat and tank back off and looking for the cause....doesn't seem to be much in the way of how to do Magneto and coil tests in the book?
Little Squirt owner
Jack Elliott

Post by Jack Elliott »

Zeek
A dirt squirt frame is same as a Combat wombat (except for shorter swing arm) and the CW frame is the same as a wombat (bar maybe a tab or two for battery box) and wombats were road legal in Australia so unless the inspector googles 'registering D..t Sq...t in Oz (he would probably end up here!) you should be ok Hopefully!
By the quality of your resto I figure you have probably replaced all the wire joiners but I have sworn to put all new joiners on the next old hodaka I attempt to get running as they seem a weak link in the ignition so that even when you get spark it can be intermittent .
Hydraulic Jack

Post by Hydraulic Jack »

Legal for use on roads has little to do with manufacturer's original intent, and much more to do with how equipped. Research your local DMV rules. The answers should be there. Lights, signals, horn, tires big enough, proof of ownership. Not much else involved.
Hydraulic Jack
matt glascock

Post by matt glascock »

I agree with Jack and would add that, at least in Iowa, the vehicle is held accountable to the motor vehicle laws in effect at the time the vehicle was manufactured. This gets me out of turn signals and continuous running light operation requirements on my Aces and Wombats.
viclioce

Post by viclioce »

Me too Matt! I like that! Got an Email from the guy I from whom I bought the Toads & Acs. He's going to do me a Colorado bill of sale and mail it to me! Gave home the 3 VIN plate numbers & dates and he's going to mail it off to me! Whew! :mrgreen: Victor

1978 175SL
1976 03 Wombat
1975 99 Road Toad (2)
1973 96 Dirt Squirt (2)
1973 “Wombat Combat”
1973 Combat Wombat
1972 94 Wombat (2)
1972 Super Squirt
1971 92B+ Ace
1970 92B Ace 100B (2)
1968 92 Ace 100
1966 Ace 90
; D Victor
Bullfrog

Post by Bullfrog »

. . . and it is that "at the time of manufacture" part which can make it extremely difficult or impossible to license a Dirt Squirt or Combat Wombat or Super Rat or Super Combat for use on the roads - especially if the steering head ID plate is still there.
Ed
Hydraulic Jack

Post by Hydraulic Jack »

"Laws in effect at time of manufacture..." have nothing to do with how the machine was built, so the data plate has nothing to do with it either. At the time of manufacture, if a 98cc bike didn't have to have turn signals, then it doesn't have to have them now, either. If your car didn't come with seat belts because it was made in 1941, it won't need them now, under the rubric of "at the time of manufacture." It isn't a question of how it was manufactured, but when, and manufacturers intent is nowhere in any DMV laws I have ever seen. Equipment must conform to some set of rules, up to DMV. Then, or now, the rules address the equipment on the machine, not what it rolled out with. As built, the DS didn't have lights, so it wouldn't qualify as a road bike. But now it does. So now it should.

But this machine is in Oz, I believe, so contact your motor vehicle folks and ask.
Hydraulic Jack
Bullfrog

Post by Bullfrog »

There you go - check with DMV.

Once upon at time, that "off road" statement on the steering head would disqualify the Dirt Squirt for licensing (in Oregon - - - and it may not be that way anymore . . .). And that disqualification applied regardless of lights, turn signals, horn, etc. which may have been installed after the factory build. Things may well have changed . . . check with DMV.

Note that, exhaust emissions may have been a part of all this licensing stuff once upon a time. Having the off-road steering head plate meant that the machine had not been certified as meeting federal emission standards for highway use . . . and hence, the machine was not licensable. But that was then, this is now.

Check with DMV.
Ed
Hydraulic Jack

Post by Hydraulic Jack »

Hodaka's never qualified for emissions. No two stroke did, which is why you stopped seeing new ones on the road around 1980. Hodaka would have been forced out of the U.S. street bike market anyway by the early 80's unless DOT allowed an exception for low production numbers. There were sound restrictions but Hodaka wasn't that noisy to start with. Here is where the "laws in effect" thing comes in again. Back in the 70's Hodaka wasn't required to be emission compliant, so it does not have to be today, either. You will still see old two stroke road bikes with license plates, including Hodaka's, for that reason.
Hydraulic Jack
Bullfrog

Post by Bullfrog »

Doh. You are perfectly correct Hydraulic Jack. It wasn't exhaust emissions - it was noise standards. At any rate, in the 1970's if a machine didn't meet Federal standards for highway use (lights, tires, noise level, other?), the "off road" steering head plaque was required to state that the machine was for off-road use only. And in many states the presence of that wording on the steering head plaque was all it took to be rejected for licensing. You could have all the "right" lighting equipment to qualify but, 1) it was factory built for off-road use (as stated on the steering head) and 2) you couldn't claim you built the machine yourself from the ground up (cuz it had a factory steering head plaque proving that you didn't build it) to allow licensing with proper equipment for the time. Sort of a "Catch 22". States varied on how they handled that situation. See your local DMV.
Ed
PS: The toaster tank Squirt WAS quiet enough to meet Federal standards, but had no lights and the tires were not DOT approved for highway use - so it got the off-road steering head statement. Years ago, that steering head plaque made it unlicenseable in Oregon no matter how a person re-equipped it. Things may have changed.
michael_perrett

Post by michael_perrett »

The Yamaha RD 400 did pass emissions testing. It is interesting how the Yamaha engineers did it.

Mike Perrett
viclioce

Post by viclioce »

Not sure, but my guess would be by adding fresh air to the exhaust port prior to the location where it was tested for emissions. :mrgreen: Victor

1978 175SL
1976 03 Wombat
1975 99 Road Toad (2)
1973 96 Dirt Squirt (2)
1973 “Wombat Combat”
1973 Combat Wombat
1972 94 Wombat (2)
1972 Super Squirt
1971 92B+ Ace
1970 92B Ace 100B (2)
1968 92 Ace 100
1966 Ace 90
; D Victor
michael_perrett

Post by michael_perrett »

The emission test for the RD 400, was the total of four readings that I recall. Idle, acceleration, full throttle and deceleration. The four readings were averaged out for a final pass or fail grade. They knew that they would lose out on the first three, so they installed a exhaust valve that shut off the exhaust completely on deceleration, there by having no emissions on that part of the test. It averaged out so the bike did pass.
Mike Perrett
Zeek

Post by Zeek »

Well she runs! :shock:
Need to do a few things yet, but it runs at least.
Took a short trip around the paddock later and all seems OK. Gears seem to require a very careful change compared to my Honda? So that's either the way Hodies are or the change mechanism needs some fine tuning yet.
Overall a great milestone day :D
Video
Little Squirt owner