Day One - New Project

The main Page for the Hodaka Club Discussion Group
Zeek

Re: Day One - New Project

Post by Zeek »

Just been having a read here..what a great build.
Love it. :D
"Experience is something you never get until just after you need it" :D
Little Squirt owner
hodakamax

Post by hodakamax »

Thanks Zeek, I've been watching your project from "Day One" as my project is being called. I like these project posts in that it shows others how much effort (and fun!) goes into a restoration. Looking forward to the progress reports of your project. :)

Max
hodakamax

Post by hodakamax »

I thought I'd better report in since it's been awhile. The tack strips have been pop-riveted on the seat pan and I've done a trial setting which revealed that the front of the foam is too high and needs to be extended forward slightly. It's just some minor adjustments and looks good so far. Hopefully this seat thing can be wrapped up soon since I seem to have run out of modifications to do. I did put some trim on the splash guard to smooth out the raw edge and checked for clearance on the seat. All is well. :)

Max
Attachments
Tack strips riveted on.
Tack strips riveted on.
Trimmed and fitted guard to clear seat.
Trimmed and fitted guard to clear seat.
Bullfrog
Location: Oregon, 12 miles from the center of the Hodaka Universe(Athena)

Post by Bullfrog »

Maxie,

Would you educate us a bit about the foam you used to form the seat cushion? Looks like a lamination of two layers of 1/2" (or so) firm foam for the base? And then what went on top? Source for the foam?

I've seen too many seats with really thick "dime-store" foam which look great when upholstered . . . and then when you sit down, the foam collapses 4 or 5" to be almost solid at about 1" thick. (not an improvement over the standard foam)

Ed
Keep the rubber side down!
hodakamax

Post by hodakamax »

Ed, I'm not a seat guy but the first mock-up was comfortable but I sank to the bottom. The seat guy thought that a stiffer base foam would keep me from bottoming out as you said while the softer would set better. I'll ask more questions when he comes to re-configure the seating position and will give you a report.

Max
viclioce

Post by viclioce »

Max. Consider splitting the foam. Half hard on the bottom & half softer on top.

When I've had my seats redone, they left half of the old foam and added new, softer foam on top & they are very comfortable and have good support as well. ; D Victor

1978 175SL
1976 03 Wombat
1975 99 Road Toad (2)
1973 96 Dirt Squirt (2)
1973 “Wombat Combat”
1973 Combat Wombat
1972 94 Wombat (2)
1972 Super Squirt
1971 92B+ Ace
1970 92B Ace 100B (2)
1968 92 Ace 100
1966 Ace 90
; D Victor
viclioce

Post by viclioce »

Hey Max! I misplaced that kickstand I was going to send you, but I found it again! If you still want/need it I can send it to you! Let me know! ; D Victor

1978 175SL
1976 03 Wombat
1975 99 Road Toad (2)
1973 96 Dirt Squirt (2)
1973 “Wombat Combat”
1973 Combat Wombat
1972 94 Wombat (2)
1972 Super Squirt
1971 92B+ Ace
1970 92B Ace 100B (2)
1968 92 Ace 100
1966 Ace 90
; D Victor
hodakamax

Post by hodakamax »

Hey Victor, the kickstand crisis is over, I stole the one off my 94A that works perfect. I'll find another one some day that's about 13'' long. As for the foam, I think I'll talk to the "seat guy" I call him, and use something a little stiffer perhaps topping it with a little softer top. I'm about to get it figured out. It's the last step in this fun project! I'll report of course.

Thanks!

Maxie
viclioce

Post by viclioce »

Yeah talk to him Max. Get something for the lower foam that's fairly rigid. Something nearly as hard as the original foam gets after sitting on the bikes for 40+ years! Then add a good softer yielding foam on top! It works great that way! ; D Victor

1978 175SL
1976 03 Wombat
1975 99 Road Toad (2)
1973 96 Dirt Squirt (2)
1973 “Wombat Combat”
1973 Combat Wombat
1972 94 Wombat (2)
1972 Super Squirt
1971 92B+ Ace
1970 92B Ace 100B (2)
1968 92 Ace 100
1966 Ace 90
; D Victor
hodakamax

Post by hodakamax »

The seat guy and I are having trouble communicating for several reasons which neither of us are at fault. We live ten miles apart and he has too many projects in his shop to take the bike there. To save trips I made a foamcore 2D prototype and used a level to mark where the top should be. Now he should be able to use this to determine the shape of the foam. We had to do the tack strips over because of interference from the frame and I also had to raise the rear bracket about 1/8'' to get the rear bolts in. It all seemed simple at first but we are about to get it figured out. The plan is to use a much stiffer foam on the lower 2/3 and a softer one one the upper third. Complicated seat report! :)

Maxie
Attachments
2D Foamcore model.
2D Foamcore model.
Seat visualization.
Seat visualization.
Bill2001

Post by Bill2001 »

Very good thread. When I had to start browsing with a "Dumbphone" I missed out on a few threads. On my own bike, I ended up with an worn so-so engine that needs work and a lot of worn parts qnd assembly errors in the chassis, but everything has been cleaned up nfd is complete. I've gone through and straightened out few messes, did a new top-end and plan to split the case this Winter. This thread is some dang good reading-- thanx Max!
Keepin' the Shiny Side up
on a '72 Wombat 94

--Bill
Bill2001

Post by Bill2001 »

On the seat foam: when I had my BMW seat rebuilt a few years back, they used a type of "memory foam" that iw firm but "flows and conforms" to the Tushie and is very comfy. You are on the right track looking at two foam densities.
on a '72 Wombat 94

--Bill
hodakamax

Post by hodakamax »

Finally, a completed seat assembly just bolted on. It seems to set fine and is pretty much as ordered. The lower 2/3 foam is much stiffer and the top 1/3 softer. I still haven't started the engine yet so no trail time yet for seat testing yet.

Being a photographer the next step is to photograph the bike in the studio before it gets dirty for the first time. Our local Dawg Daze Car and Bike show is not far away and I'll also be taking it there. We probably should also shoot some action shots for things like the Resonator and such. I don't want to end my fun thread yet and we probably need some tuning and evaluation reports on whether my engine and pipe mods actually work. We'll see. Another report!

Maxie.
Attachments
Narrow width looks good for trials and trails. (and this ladder is not steady at all.)
Narrow width looks good for trials and trails. (and this ladder is not steady at all.)
Somewhat comfy at least while stationary.
Somewhat comfy at least while stationary.
Ready for photography and testing!
Ready for photography and testing!
Bill2001

Post by Bill2001 »

Most excellent, Max. Now that my engine is broken-in enough for a trail run, I'm looking for a mud hole so i can anoint it properly...
on a '72 Wombat 94

--Bill
viclioce

Post by viclioce »

Max. Wait till you try riding the bike with those shocks! The ones I put on my Ace 100 are really nice! I weigh 225 right now and the shocks do not bottom out, I don't rub a tire any more and they do not recoil roughly in a turn or when the front forks bounce back. I haven't gone air bound with the bike yet, but I Really Like Them! Hope you do too! ; D Victor

1978 175SL
1976 03 Wombat
1975 99 Road Toad (2)
1973 96 Dirt Squirt (2)
1973 “Wombat Combat”
1973 Combat Wombat
1972 94 Wombat (2)
1972 Super Squirt
1971 92B+ Ace
1970 92B Ace 100B (2)
1968 92 Ace 100
1966 Ace 90
; D Victor
hodakamax

Post by hodakamax »

Hey thanks Bill! I've become a fair weather rider in my old age but go for it and sling some mud for me!

And Victor, shock test soon, I'll report!

Maxie
hodakamax

Post by hodakamax »

I did start the engine today and it ran but with not much low end response. A compression check revealed what I suspected might happen. The Webco head was designed for early hi-domed pistons and the new lower crowned Wiseco could only generate about 120 psi compression. Looks like I'm going to find a model 93 head or mill the Webco unit. Has anyone got any suggestions on how much to take off. I could CC test the Webco head and figure it out but I can't seem to find a 93 head to buy or even compare it to. Ideas anyone?

Max
hodakamax

Post by hodakamax »

A quick update, Used Model 93 head on the way. I should be able to compare combustion chamber volumes and mill and reshape the Webco unit to work. Anyway that's the plan. I'll report soon!

Max
hodakamax

Post by hodakamax »

Here's a preview of one of the studio test shots with a real camera! It should blow up with lots of detail. Check it out.

Max
Attachments
_DSC4031 (2).jpg
bchappy

Post by bchappy »

Boy, that white really brings the red out.
Bill Chapman, Monument, CO
Raced and Modified Hodakas in Statesville NC back in the day.
matt glascock

Post by matt glascock »

Maxie, WOW. It's hard to believe that's the same bike (heap) that appeared on your first posting. Talk about a phoenix rising from the ashes! There has to be no greater feeling in all of motorcycle land than taking a neglected pile of junk that, by all rights, should end up in a metal recycling scrap yard, and resurrecting it into a spectacularly cool motorcycle that would shine on any concourse anywhere. Great work, and thanks for providing us such a detailed, step-by-step examination of the process. Its really a gold mine of great ideas and how to execute them with superb craftsmanship. Thank you!!

Best,

Matt
hodakamax

Post by hodakamax »

Hey Matt, thanks very much! This actually started out as a low-key project to use up some existing parts and build something useable such as a trail or trials bike. Also as a motorcycle project, it entertains me and gives one a feeling of "well being'' by having it in the shop. In the end almost everything was replaced except for the frame and swing arm. This is my fourth motorcycle restoration project that has gotten out of control but the rewards were great in that many enjoyable hours were spent and it did keep the old brain going! Putting everything from "Day One'' was another benefit as I really enjoy our Forum and the Gang. All good! Thanks again for your input!

Max

PS--just for fun, I'll try to find photos of the four bikes and post them. Don't panic, it'll only be four pictures!
Bill2001

Post by Bill2001 »

Yep, a classic Snowball effect or example of Project Creep. Looks great!
on a '72 Wombat 94

--Bill
hodakamax

Post by hodakamax »

Hey Matt and Gang, here's my four projects that kept me out of bars in the daytime anyway. (Just kidding!) #1,3 and 4 were actually almost un-restoreable and the Yamaha was just "grim". #1 hangs in my living room. I had many incredible adventures on that one and it deserves to be saved. I smile every time I walk under it! :D

Max

PS--all are riders with the exception of the captive and restrained short tracker.
Attachments
Max's Shorttracker from the last century.
Max's Shorttracker from the last century.
1980 Yamaha XS650 to cafe racer.
1980 Yamaha XS650 to cafe racer.
94A converted into Vintage racer. (and raced one more time for both of us!)
94A converted into Vintage racer. (and raced one more time for both of us!)
Current Day-One Project
Current Day-One Project
matt glascock

Post by matt glascock »

Wow Maxie, the term "functional works of art" comes to mind. Those are really beautiful machines. My third Hodie (of my adult infatuation) is a 1965 Ace 100 that spent the last 40 years buried in a pile of wrecked farm implements behind a barn in central N. Dakota. Utterly destroyed, rusted, trashed, neglected, you name it. I paid $25 for it and 10x as much getting it shipped here to Cedar Falls, Iowa. With the help of Hodaka Dave, Paul, and Bill, it's been a converted from a rusting heap of scrap metal into a daily rider. How cool is that?!? Now, I'm taking on more of the work myself as I continue to learn more about these simple yet very clever machines. Its folks like you who share your expertise, experience, and artistic vision that lets folks like me keep these insanely cool machines ABOVE the dirt. For that, many thanks to you and the rest of the gang! Thanks for sharing the pictures of your bikes - beauties one and all.

Best,

Matt