Gearing and speed

The main Page for the Hodaka Club Discussion Group
thirdstone

Gearing and speed

Post by thirdstone »

Hi folks what is the fastest you have gone on a 94 or a 95 and what was your gearing and rpm ?
Thanks
hodakamax

Re: Gearing and speed

Post by hodakamax »

Thirdstone, you bring up some interesting questions. My first observation and question would be: we have no tachometer and do they make one adaptable to our Hodakas? As for top speed we would be relying on the accuracy of our speedometers or perhaps a GPS reading, Radar or timed trap. Lots of variables here and honestly I don't know what the answer is. Top speed on Hodakas is something I'm interested in and have studied. I often dream about speed records in small classes and events like Salt flats and the Texas Mile. I sometimes plot (just for fun) what I would do to achieve high speeds on a Hodaka. Good subject but I've never passed the planning stage but I often think of it. Of course it's all about reducing drag and weight, a monster motor and close ratio transmissions and gearing. Fun to think about but I have no answers for you. Good question though! :)

Maxie

PS--There are some claims on back posts of a modified 94 reaching 75 MPH.
RichardMott

Post by RichardMott »

My CW has been up to over 80 MPH..

But that was while it was in my trailer on I 80 on my way to Hodaka Days. :lol:
Rick Mott

In order to be old and wise, you must survive young and stupid!
hodakamax

Post by hodakamax »

Rick, you win! :lol: Now you have me thinking of a new record in the Tundra. 8-)

Maxie

PS--do I need to be sitting on it to get the new record? ( This could be a photo shoot or just plain dangerous.) :?
Bullfrog
Location: Oregon, 12 miles from the center of the Hodaka Universe(Athena)

Post by Bullfrog »

Pssst. Don't let Ken get wind of this, but . . .

While riding from Classic Dirt into Conondale for lunch (the "Works Burger" - complete with beet root), Ken's stock Wombat (Model 94) with 14/56 sprockets achieved 60mph indicated on the stock speedo. (Well, 58 to 62 was the bouncing needle reading.) This on pavement on level ground. I wouldn't want to hold that engine speed for long periods - she was spinning pretty well. There was more room for higher engine speed before what I'd call "red line" . . . and I think the stock engine could have pulled a bit more speed, but not much. It was clear that the power curve had just about reached the end of its capability. So while there might have been a couple more thousand engine RPM to work with . . . there wasn't enough horsepower to pull the chain hard enough to get there. NOTE: I did that speed test because Ken had complained about the "trail gearing" making life on the road difficult, . . . um, that isn't trail gearing. (Why did I say that? Ken isn't supposed to know about this. ;) )

Ed
Keep the rubber side down!
racerclam

Post by racerclam »

Trail Tech makes a Tach that is a one wire inductive pick up that sells for about $42 you can get one from thunder products , I have two of them they work great plus you can reed your highest RPM during your last run cycle so you don't have to stare at it while making your run.

Rich
Attachments
100_4367.JPG
DGardner

Post by DGardner »

hodaka gearing.jpg
Will this help?
DGardner

Post by DGardner »

hodaka speedo.jpg
I run this digital RPM gauge along with a digital speedo. The bike runs 16/47 gearing with a model 95 5th gear to help with the big gap in the 4th to 5th that the model 94 has. I have some cylinder work, head work, 28mm PWK, electronic ignition, pipe and isotropic polished gears. I have run 76.3 MPH at about 8200 RPM and yes the stars need to be inline to do this.
thirdstone

Post by thirdstone »

Thanks every one,perfect, that is all the info I needed to verify my calculation
Regards

Kev
hodakamax

Post by hodakamax »

As always the Forum Gang has come up with all the information. Wow, charts, sources and info. Now I'm ordering a neat Tach/Hour meter for the new project. Good job Gang!

Max

PS--Maybe a new 94 land speed record coming up in the Tundra--Keep posted!